Dunlop super pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop super pots

I installed 3 Dunlop super pots in an eiphone explorer, along with 3 new "metal" knobs, the pots work great, the problem is I get a bad ground hum when I touch the metal knobs, the usual hum goes away as normal when the bridge is touched. there is still a little hum when I touch both the bridge and knobs. This hum is not a bother while playing as it cant be heard, but all the same I dont like it being there. Ground issue???
    "I can't play the blues if Im sad"

Yep sounds like a ground issue somewhere, check all your solder joints
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I just read about these. These are expensive, but I think they offer some benefits on paper. When you get it working, let me know if you feel/hear a difference over traditional pots.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Make sure the metal part of the pot around the shaft is hitting your shielding paint in the cavity. From the design, it looks like this would be easy to now have happen, and could cause your hum.

Comment

Definitely a ground issue. Resolder all of your grounds while you are checking the wiring just in case there are some cold solder joints.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Ground and hot reversed on jack
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes it was a ground issue, Found a loose wire plus I added a ground contact to the metal paint shielding and to the cavity cover, hum is gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I just read about these. These are expensive, but I think they offer some benefits on paper. When you get it working, let me know if you feel/hear a difference over traditional pots.
                I did a lot of work on this guitar and must say it is the best sounding guitar in my lot of 4 other guitars (my Reverend is a close second), if the pots are the reason Im not sure but I can say I am impressed with their performance. Very smooth little to no 'scratch" what so ever. I have them in my SG now too (yes that SG, the one I've been working on for 2 years) I approve of them in that guitar as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TinPan View Post

I did a lot of work on this guitar and must say it is the best sounding guitar in my lot of 4 other guitars (my Reverend is a close second), if the pots are the reason Im not sure but I can say I am impressed with their performance. Very smooth little to no 'scratch" what so ever. I have them in my SG now too (yes that SG, the one I've been working on for 2 years) I approve of them in that guitar as well.
                  This is good to hear. How easy are they to turn? I use my pots a lot.

Comment

dave, do you like the yjm pots?

Comment

I know you solved your problem, but I thought I'd add this. The plastic housing might insulate the shaft from the cover. Some of these might be useful for those style pots:

Buy solder lug washers for grounding guitar and bass pots, switches and other electronic parts. Shop GuitarElectronics.com for guitar electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        dave, do you like the yjm pots?
                        Yeah, I use them for both volume and tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          I know you solved your problem, but I thought I'd add this. The plastic housing might insulate the shaft from the cover. Some of these might be useful for those style pots:

https://guitarelectronics.com/solder...ts-switches-4/
                          This is similar to what I did to fix my problem, you are correct about the plastic housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This is good to hear. How easy are they to turn? I use my pots a lot.
                            As good as any pot I have used, I have an epi les paul Im thinking of changing pot's, the stock pots taper way too loose, go to turn down and they zip right to zero.

Comment

Working...
                            X