Making semi-hollow electric guitar sound like a solid body guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making semi-hollow electric guitar sound like a solid body guitar

Can you make a semi-hollow sound like a solid body guitar? Will using a equalizer on your amp or pedal help?

Actually I've heard of people trying this the other way- trying to make a solidbody sound more hollow. But I'd be curious if anyone comes up with an answer outside of guitar modeling with a hex pickup (which works well).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tape over the holes to kill feedback
      turn up the gain
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

you can fill the open cavities with something which may cut down on feedback but it wont change the fundamental tone as much as youd like it to

Comment

Solidbody guitars are cheap so buy a solidbody guitar and let your hollowbody be what it is.

Comment

Well a 335 or Gretsch wont sound like a strat

Strat-ish

But not blindfold worthy

335 can get some LP like tones

Gretsch filtertron style pickups are more p90 single coily
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Short answer, I don't think so.

My 335, and my corsair to a lesser degree, has a more open and less direct tone than any solid body I've played. Scooping some mids (slightly) with an EQ is the only way I could think to even try

Comment

The two sound differences I most notice with semi-hollows is that there's something different in the attack of a note (it's a little faster/harder/more spiky), and something different with the way it feeds back.

For the attack of the note, it may be possible to use an expander to achieve a similar effect. I've never found anything that makes them feed back the same way at higher volumes though.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I think if you were blindfolded, sitting in front of my amp, you'd be hard-pressed to hear differences between my Gibson ES-335s and my LP Elegant. The Elegant is a chambered model; both feature '57 Classics.

And the same is true for my Antiquity-equipped 335, and my 1960 Classic Premium Plus, also with Ants. The Classic is a 1997 model, and is weight-relieved.

Feel-wise, the 335s seem to have a softer attack, but it's real subtle.

I use them interchangeably. But I have other Les Pauls with different pickups, and they do sound different.

So what differences do YOU hear, and what are you trying to accomplish?

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Back when I was gigging five nights a week in a low volume R&B band in Detroit, my ES-355 was my main guitar.

Once in a while I'd bring my Les Paul instead and it always sounded thin and plinky at the low volume, no overdrive, sound levels we played at.

My ES-355 always sounded better. Fuller. More resonant.

With overdrive and distortion solid bodies and semi hollow bodies might sound sort of similar.

Sort of.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Sem-hollows have a softer attack, warmer feel to them than most solid bodies I played. I wish I could've kept the Hamer EchoTone I had. What a wonderful guitar that was. Even with the Duncan Designed Distortion pickups that came in it, it was still warm and smooth. I loved playing it.

Comment

I've always preferred semi/full acoustic electrics, to solid-bodies;

I could live with a strat though, since it has all the cavities beneath the pickguard, and also the tremolo system...

My Wildkat is hollow, with the exception of a "tone block" right under the bridge. So it's kinda a "crossover"-

the bridge pickup got plenty of attack, while the neck pickup got that acoustic sound and "bloom".

-Erl
                        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X