NGD - Fender American Original 60's Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Fender American Original 60's Tele

Just arrived! Caught it used! 2018 model. Very little play wear (some minor surface scratches but you have to angle it in the right light to see them). Has Rutter's saddles installed. It sounds sooooo good! Weight is 7.6 lbs. One thing I have found is this thing sustains for days! It just rings and rings and rings. I've got a number of Teles and I think this is the best one I've ever had.

-
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Congrats. Those things look sweet. Almost bit on a burst version of the same model, but didn't.

The AOs are built and outfitted just as well as the 2013–2017 AVs before them. But they use modern radius and frets, and have a poly sealer with thin lacquer over it, instead of the Flash Coat/Thin Skin finish process (lacquer sealer instead of poly sealer).

I can't quite jive with them due to the flatter boards and bigger frets, but they are damned nice instruments.

It'll only look better in time, too.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      Congrats. Those things look sweet. Almost bit on a burst version of the same model, but didn't.

The AOs are built and outfitted just as well as the 2013–2017 AVs before them. But they use modern radius and frets, and have a poly sealer with thin lacquer over it, instead of the Flash Coat/Thin Skin finish process (lacquer sealer instead of poly sealer).

I can't quite jive with them due to the flatter boards and bigger frets, but they are damned nice instruments.

It'll only look better in time, too.
      Have you tried one out? I have read some gripes about the "vintage tall" frets but after having played this thing all day I'm in the love them camp. They're not super tall but definitely more substantial than vintage style. Also they're not all fat and wide like medium or jumbo. The playability is awesome. Bends are absolutely effortless. I have another tele with vintage style frets and a 7.25" board and it's way less user friendly than the AO60s.

Anyway the neck has a vintage look but with modern playability. Its not a marketing slogan, it's actually the case with these things.

I wish they'd stuck with the flash coat nitro that they used on the 12-17 AV series. I'd love the guitar to naturally relic and I know that the nitro over poly style basically doesn't age much at all.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
        Have you tried one out? I have read some gripes about the "vintage tall" frets but after having played this thing all day I'm in the love them camp. They're not super tall but definitely more substantial than vintage style. Also they're not all fat and wide like medium or jumbo. The playability is awesome. Bends are absolutely effortless. I have another tele with vintage style frets and a 7.25" board and it's way less user friendly than the AO60s.

Anyway the neck has a vintage look but with modern playability. Its not a marketing slogan, it's actually the case with these things.

I wish they'd stuck with the flash coat nitro that they used on the 12-17 AV series. I'd love the guitar to naturally relic and I know that the nitro over poly style basically doesn't age much at all.
        Of course I have tried them, or I wouldn't have said what I said – many (well, at least 10 or 12). My favorite was the burst I mentioned above, which I almost bought on the spot. But in the end, I wasn't going to compromise on my preferred neck specs at that price.

They're great for people (like you) who like 6105s and 9 1/2" radius. Not great for people (like me) who like 6230s and 7 1/4" radius. Not trying to derail the NGD or tell YOU how YOUR guitar plays; that wasn't my intention at all. We all have different preferences. Just talking about my own experiences with them, and the specs differences between them and the previous line.

The post-AV Series lacquer finishes like yours are way thinner than the old AVRI and earlier lacquer finishes – both the poly sealer coat and the lacquer color and clear. It'll wear, for sure. (My Page Mirror has a chip, showing how damned thin the finish is.) But it'll wear down to poly instead of down to wood.

It's not that different than '63 and up Fender finishes, which used a catalyzed finish called Fullerplast as the wood sealer. Fullerplast is more fragile than urethane, but on that period of guitars you'd often see the lacquer worn down just to the sealer instead of all the way to the wood. That's basically how yours will break in if played often.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

Of course I have tried them, or I wouldn't have said what I said – many (well, at least 10 or 12). My favorite was the burst I mentioned above, which I almost bought on the spot. But in the end, I wasn't going to compromise on my preferred neck specs at that price.

They're great for people (like you) who like 6105s and 9 1/2" radius. Not great for people (like me) who like 6230s and 7 1/4" radius. Not trying to derail the NGD or tell YOU how YOUR guitar plays; that wasn't my intention at all. We all have different preferences. Just talking about my own experiences with them, and the specs differences between them and the previous line.

The post-AV Series lacquer finishes like yours are way thinner than the old AVRI and earlier lacquer finishes – both the poly sealer coat and the lacquer color and clear. It'll wear, for sure. (My Page Mirror has a chip, showing how damned thin the finish is.) But it'll wear down to poly instead of down to wood.

It's not that different than '63 and up Fender finishes, which used a catalyzed finish called Fullerplast as the wood sealer. Fullerplast is more fragile than urethane, but on that period of guitars you'd often see the lacquer worn down just to the sealer instead of all the way to the wood. That's basically how yours will break in if played often.
          All good man. Luckily there's probably 50 different Tele models on the market at any given time so there's something for everyone! Not too long ago I would have agreed with you on having vintage correct specs. I'm not a fan of big frets myself. Somehow these strike the right balance for me. As for radius, I can play either 9.5 or 7.25 and either is comfortable. I actually don't like a really flat board (I've got a Gibson that's 12' and I find I don't play it often).

That's also some good info about the finish. The pre-2012 AVRI finishes are THICK. I've even got one of the Wildwood "thin-skins" from 2008 and that thing still hasn't shown almost any body wear despite around 8 years of me bashing on it. The few dings show the finish isn't THAT thin.

What really attracted me to this AO60's guitar was the neck profile. It's a little fatter than modern C, but not massive like the 50's U shape. Feels more substantial in the hand without being bulky.
          -

Comment

good lookin guitar man! enjoy

Comment

That will make anyone a rockstar. What a cool color. Congrats on the awesome Tele!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Round boards and tiny frets suck. I’d definitely pick that one over the earlier version. Sweet color, too.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Nice. And it's definitely "blue guitar" season here in the forum.

Comment

Looks great! That’s a very cool guitar.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

OMG! That thing is awesome! Congrats. I am sooo envious (drool, drool, drool).
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Very nice. I'm not a Tele guy but that one looks sweet.

Comment

That's super cool man; great find!

I've never played one with that style bridge so I'm curious, does the upraised metal edge around the bridge/pick up bother your hand while strumming or palm muting?

Comment

Similar to the original ashtray bridge, right?
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
                              That's super cool man; great find!

I've never played one with that style bridge so I'm curious, does the upraised metal edge around the bridge/pick up bother your hand while strumming or palm muting?
                              It's the standard vintage style Tele bridge. Doesn't bother me at all. Some guys it does though. Actually the seller shipped it to me with an aftermarket Glendale bridge installed (original in the case). The Glendale has the sides of the lip cut down. I put the original bridge back on as I prefer the stock look and like I said, doesn't bother me. The string height makes them above the edge of the lip and not under it.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X