Laminated and solid wood acoustic guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminated and solid wood acoustic guitars

Which style of playing do you notice the difference between solid and laminated wood more on a acoustic guitar, strumming or fingerstyle?

I’ve owned a few different brands of each. My current dread is an mid-60’s Gibson SJ, which is solid spruce for the top and solid mahogany sides and back. After owning an Eastman with a solid top and laminate sides, I’m of the opinion that solid top matters, back and sides not so much.

I also have an all lam Alvarez. It doesn’t sound bad, but it’s nothing like the solid top guitars.

I hear the difference between a solid and lam top regardless of what I’m playing. The laminate has a boxier sound, not sure how else to describe it. Play both and you’ll hear what I mean. Or maybe you won’t, but solid top/lam side and back guitars are pretty inexpensive now.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i agree the top matters much more than the back and sides but a well build acoustic is as much about the tuning and bracing as the woods. the labor cost is usually more than that of the wood by a fair amount unless you are using some crazy rare/expensive woods. a good set of solid wood for back and sides isnt all that expensive. if you are getting a good acoustic, id go all solid wood. and used and would never buy one without playing it first.

Comment

Most plywood top guitars sound equally crappy played finger style or with a pick.

Just kidding. I've played some decent sounding plywood guitars, and not every solid wood topped acoustic guitar sounds great.

Like I said in another thread: the tone of acoustic guitars is much more variable than electric guitars, and it comes down to the individual guitar.

That's why you should try before you buy.

Played with a pick, a plywood guitar would sound louder, just like a solid wood guitar would sound louder played with a pick.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Paul Plays a few different ones and
          while they do sound different
          Not particularly bad

EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The best sounding new but "affordable" solid wood acoustics I've tried were made by Blueridge or Eastman.

I bought a Blueridge because it sounded better than any other guitar in the room.

Even sounded better than the Martins costing 3 - 4 times as much.

Didn't have that great "new Martin" smell though.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 09-02-2020, 09:25 AM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

^ Eastman makes some really nice instruments. In a bluegrass jam, my $400 solid top dread would hang with all the D-28s. Had one of their F mandolins, too, priced at $800 new. The $5000 Northfield I have now sounds and plays better, but not six times better.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The Eastman acoustics are really great these days. A lot of guitar for not that much $$.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X