X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lap steel alert!

I have an old Supro. But a buddy of mine is interested in one of these:

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

It has two palm "pedals" and a sliding capo.

Comment

thats pretty sweet. love the built in capo and the multibender is cool! i have no interest in learning pull on pedal steel but i could get into some palm benders

Comment

I’ve been in the process of building a 2x4 lap steel for about 3 years. So far, I rough notched out a headstock and cut the wood to length.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Lap steel is such a sweet sound, in the right hands. But, "in the right hands" is the trick. Clearly not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Lap steel is such a sweet sound, in the right hands. But, "in the right hands" is the trick. Clearly not mine.
            I play a little. But I'm not very fast. Playing in tune and muting seems to be key. And knowing where the notes are. I took some lessons from a master: Sally Van Meter. She blew my mind. One of the best guitarists I've ever sat in the same room with. She plays mostly Dobro.

Comment

It is an instrument I always wanted to get into, but haven't. I like it when Steve Howe or David Gilmour use it, in a rock context, but I can't see how it would be used in my own music. Still a great sound.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                It is an instrument I always wanted to get into, but haven't. I like it when Steve Howe or David Gilmour use it, in a rock context, but I can't see how it would be used in my own music. Still a great sound.
                David Lindley was the guy that made me want to give it a try.

Comment

I always liked the sound of a lap steel. I saw Joe Perry play one the few times we've seen Aerosmith. Not as graceful as I've seen others but how he played it suited the song. I couldn't play one. Regular slide on guitar gives me enough trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    David Lindley was the guy that made me want to give it a try.
                    That's interesting. I sent that first link to my luthier friend. He immediately came back with, "check out David Lindley."

Comment

love david lindley! larkin poe has some good lap steel going on, i think its cool that there are young women makin their own music like this. first is a cover, but i love that tune, 2nd is one of theirs

and ill add this cause it just autoplayed and their harmonies are lovely, nice lapsteel, and ive always loved the song

Comment

Comment

I did the Lindley thing for awhile with an old Rickenbacher but got interested in 8-string A6/C6 and the western swing players. I made my own using some very old Paul Bigsby-machined parts I found in a thrift store. You can do a LOT more with an 8. I also played E9 pedal steel for awhile but you really need to put in the time with that. BTW---National made a 6 string lap steel in the 50s with a lever back by the bridge to raise the I chord to a IV.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                            I did the Lindley thing for awhile with an old Rickenbacher but got interested in 8-string A6/C6 and the western swing players. I made my own using some very old Paul Bigsby-machined parts I found in a thrift store. You can do a LOT more with an 8. I also played E9 pedal steel for awhile but you really need to put in the time with that. BTW---National made a 6 string lap steel in the 50s with a lever back by the bridge to raise the I chord to a IV.
                            I'm not a good steel player by any means. But I love listening to the great ones. David Lindley, Freddie Roulette, Leon McAuliffe...

Comment

Working...
                            X