Trem cavity cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem cavity cover

All my life, it seemed like the cool kids took off the covers and left them off. I did so because of SRV, Jimi, and Kirk Hammett. Then, when I got into changing tunings frequently on Floyd guitars, I left them off for ease of access.

I just got an LTD M-1000, and promptly removed the cover, leaving it off after I put my strings (10-52) on it, intending to toss it into the parts bin. However, I was just showing my 18 year old some Pantera videos, and noticed Dime’s cover is in place.

So... on or off? What say ye?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

I leave it off when I am tweaking a new Strat. It always takes some time to get it perfect. Tweak here, let it settle, play on it, judge it...tweak again, etc.

Once I have it set up fine, then the cover goes back on.

If the vibrato is decked, the waiting/tweaking time is unnecessary. My "vintage" Strat is the only one that I have set up decked. It was like that when I got it, and it was so perfect sounding and feeling that I haven't changed it. I probably will once I really dig into it, but for now, it's really nice decked. Very different feel than floating, like all my other Strats. As of yet, the only reason I have taken that cover off is to authenticate all the parts underneath.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-06-2020, 09:42 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If it's something like a Warmoth where it doesn't come predrilled and I have to add the cover myself, then I usually opt to go without

That said, I don't like having exposed screw holes, so if it came with a cover originally, I'll eventually put it back on once it's set up where I want it, even on Floyded guitars

Comment

Once I'm settled on a setup it's back on unless it's a protruding non-recessed type. I hate those covers that stick out,,,,,,,,just can't have that.
        Four of my guitars have covers with slots for spring access, so they're only off if I was changing the spring count or pattern,,,,,,or soldering the ground wire.

Comment

Off on both of my Strats.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

On.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's strictly decorative and about as useless as the ashtray cover on a vintage Tele.

Although you CAN use the string cover of a Tele as an ashtray in a pinch.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

On with all of my guitars. I have blocks on my terms so there is not any tweaking needed with them.

Comment

Mine stay on unless it was like the Warmoth I built, where I didn't bother drilling screw holes. Let me clarify- if the holes for the strings line up to the holes in the block, I keep it on, otherwise it is just a pain. I never understood why these aren't kept on by magnets these days. It seems silly to put screw holes into wood.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I keep mine on unless I misplace them. Which I'm embarrassed to say, is more often than I care to admit.

Comment

on, definitely. yuck.

Comment

A couple of Floyd equipped guitars with nice inset metal covers are in place. Two have the plastic in place, two came without (Eric Johnson body, John Mayer Strat) and my main Strat is a partscaster I never installed it on.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Maybe I’ll go halfway and put the screws back in without the cover.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I can see getting a guitar for cheap that doesn't have a cover. But to lose one or misplace one doesn't make any sense to me.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I always place detached or unused items in their guitar's case so there's never a search when wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X