The Chinese neck arrived!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chinese neck arrived!!!

*On my front porch, no signature required.

*Took 6 weeks. 3 weeks to LA, 3 Weeks in customs/ cross country. Didn't get any tracking updates stateside.

*The piece of wood looks quite decent, front an back. There is a nice sweeping grain pattern that will look good when finished. There are no dents, dings, or fills.

*Advertized as jumbo frets, they are actually medium-jumbo at 1mm tall. I kinda knew going in that they probably wouldn't be true jumbo, I don't think I'm going to create a stink about it.

*Fret ends are cut at a steep angle so there is plenty of room to dress them. The fret board is not rolled.

*The fret slot depth is uniform and they are well filled.

*Front inlays are in a straight line and centered, but they are ever so slightly to the treble side. Par for course with Chinese necks.

*Frets will need to be superglued and pressed before leveling. They were mechanically pressed, idk if glued.

*Inlays are well cut and round, I don't see any jagged edges or fills.

*The front facing side inlays (if downward bannana) are well done and centered, all except the 24th fret which is slightly askew. Won't notice any issue unless close scrutiny.

*The down facing inlays are half-assed. They are inline, but close to the joint between board and neck. 12th fret is askew. They put them on both sides so it can be a lefty bannana if needed.

*Nut shelf looks good, but no way to know if its cut in exactly the right position.

*Tuner holes were hand drilled. They are pretty close to correct, but no cigar. I think I can get away with plugging and redrilling just one of them to pass visual inspection.

Truss rod adjustment seems to be in the range where it needs to be to counteract string tension.

*Looks to be 14" radius.

Summary: Its a good piece of wood without any defects or fills. Top and upper inlays are well cut and look good. Downward inlays if using for a lefty bannana not as good. The frets are medium jumbo. The frets are cut so that they can be finished or rolled. Tuner holes not perfectly aligned. Quite decent for $60 all in, but only acceptable for repair of a cheap guitar. Wouldn't use on a build I cared about. Pics to follow.

EDIT: NECK IS NOT ADVERTIZED WIDTH. MEASURES 51.5mm, NOT 56mm. Can't use! **** them!

Wtf!? Never seen a ***** width neck with a Floyd shelf.
    Last edited by Top-L; 09-09-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200909_142023.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	6015665
      Attached Files

Comment

Confused about "Never seen a fender width neck with a Floyd shelf". Warmoth, Musikraft and USA Custom guitars make Fender spec'd necks with a Floyd shelf.

Comment

Based on that last pic, that is standard spec. Was it supposed to be Fender spec (56 mm (2-3/16 ") - Width ; 76 mm (3 ") - Length; 16 mm (5/8") - Pocket Depth)?

Comment

is the issue in the last pic the scale length or the heel width? 55.5mm is fender spec.
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

It was advertized as 56mm. This is 52mm.

How can a Floyd fit on a 52mm neck?? Strings would be hanging over the edges unless there is a smaller version of a Floyd.

Comment

The Pro Narrow should fit a 52mm neck. https://floydrose.com/products/frtp?variant=29837633554
                The FRX has 52.1 spacing and is made for Les Pauls.
                Not to mention any of the import FR copies out there.

Based on what you said, the error is clearly on them.

Comment

ah i get it now. that stinks. ive had good luck getting money back from chinese deals gone wacky.
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

String spacing (outside E to outside E, measured at outer edges of strings) at the 22nd fret on a standard Strat with traditional Floyd Rose and an R3 nut is 48.5 mm

You should also be measuring the heel width at the very end, by where it is rounded, though I think you might still be less than 2-1/8 (i.e. 2-2/16 vs 2-3/16)

Comment

Working...
                    X