What are your favorite strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite strings?

Just for fun...what are your favorite strings?

For Acoustic I really like the Elixer NanoWebs.

For Electric, I have always liked the GHS TNT Boomers.

I hand braid the hair from a Unicorns tail and dip them in lucky charms gold.....

Comment

D'Addario nickel wound. I'm currently using EXL 116 (11/52) but I will be transitioning to 9s. Same brand and nickel wrap.

There have been a few youtube videos recently showing that lighter gauges are crisper, clearer sounding. Over the years I drifted ftom 9s to 10s and now 11. So it's all coming full circle.

Comment

D'Addario XLs, 9-42. Cheap and easily found, they get changed after every outside show in Florida, and I buy 10 sets at a time. BTW, if you use D'Addario strings, and don't use their codes on their packaging (for their Player's Circle program), send them to me!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ernie Ball Rock -n- Roll Slinky 9-46 or 10-46.
          Last edited by ErikH; 09-10-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42 and Regular Slinky 10-46. I rotate between the regular nickel plated wound and the pure nickel wound Rock N Rolls.

Comment

ive been using dr pure blues 11s on my electrics for years. i try other things but i always come back to them. round core, pure nickel strings just suit me well. i really liked snake oil strings vintage but theyve been out of business for years and its not worth trying to keep up with the brand switching non-sense of the old owner

for acoustics i like the sound of martin phosphor bronze but since i dont play my acoustics enough ive been using nanowebs, 13-56

Comment

Ive been using the EB Slinky Cobalt and PRS Signatures lately in 10-46 .
                1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400
                Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

On electrics i use D'addario xl, 10's on my 24.5" and 9.5's on my 25.5" work well for me.

For acoustics I use D'addario Phosphor Bronze 11's

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steel until they became harder to find, then I tried Ernie ball slinkys before moving to D'addario. I should have made the move to D'addario a long time ago.
                  "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Daddario rulez. I use custom balanced Daddario 11-52 flatwounds as my main set right now. For roundwounds I use the same gauges but XL with NYXL for the 4th and 5th string.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

D'addario or Ernie Ball 10-46 as standard. But always GHS Gilmour Red 10.5 on my SG as the neck is shorter. GHS Gilmour Blue 10 on the Strat and Pyramid pure nickel 10-46 on the HH Telecaster. D'addario 11-52 on the slide guitar, D'addario set on the electric 12 strings, Ernie Ball 9-42 + one single Daddario 64 on the 26" 7 strings (Schecter) and few heavy gauge on others. D'addario 14-68 on the Baritone.
                      Last edited by Francois; 09-10-2020, 02:25 PM.
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

D'Addario does rock. I can't wait to use a NYXL set I have sitting around.

Comment

I've used D'Addarios pretty much exclusively since I first went pro in the mid-70s. Sound good, available everywhere, consistent quality.

I ran XL110s for decades but nowadays my hands aren't quite what they used to be.
                          Am in the process of switching to .009s for 25½" scale guitars and .0095s on the rest, except one dedicated slide axe.
                          My experience was, even using a really light glass slide, the .0095s just didn't cut it for slide work. For me.

Elixirs on the steel-string acoustics. They hold their tone and last remarkably long even with my highly corrosive sweat.
                          Tried 'em briefly on some electrics but they felt and sounded a little odd. Not necessarily bad, just different.
                          Also, with many guitars in my fleet the price difference would've been rather significant.

Still putting Rotosounds on the basses. Once again, been using them since the 70s.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

D'Addario EXL's ....9's mostly....10's for my short scales.
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              I've used D'Addarios pretty much exclusively since I first went pro in the mid-70s. Sound good, available everywhere, consistent quality.

Elixirs on the steel-string acoustics. They hold their tone and last remarkably long even with my highly corrosive sweat.

Agreed 100%

I first tried Elixer NanoWeb Strings a few years back and I was quite impressed on both their overall sound and how long they hold their tone versus other strings (now that is all I will use on my acoustic); but I guess that's why they cost a lot more. I don't mind paying more for better quality and Elixer is absolutely superior in quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X