banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool interviews with Clapton and Green about their Les Paul guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool interviews with Clapton and Green about their Les Paul guitars...

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Cool

Comment

the peter green lp may have a tree trunk neck but that didnt stop gary moore or kirk hammet from shreding the hell out of it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        the peter green lp may have a tree trunk neck but that didnt stop gary moore or kirk hammet from shreding the hell out of it
        Gary at least. Don't know about Kirk. I know he owns it now though.

I saw that guitar close up at a guitar show in Dallas.

It was in a glass case but you could walk right up to it and walk around it and check it out front, sides and back from inches away.

It was cool to see.

But boy...it was the most worn looking old Les Paul I've ever seen.

I remember wondering if the fingerboard could even hold the frets in for another fret job.

Comment

Cool article. Good info, nice to hear Peter Green comparing the two LPs. And to learn Clapton's woman tone really was the neck pickup - I always felt it might've been the bridge with the tone rolled all the way off. Of course, those early Marshalls were mighty bright amps.

One statement would've been a little out of date even for 1999, I think:

"And today, 1958-1960 Les Paul Standard guitars command extremely high prices, sometimes bringing their owners $50,000 and more."
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            Cool article. Good info, nice to hear Peter Green comparing the two LPs. And to learn Clapton's woman tone really was the neck pickup - I always felt it might've been the bridge with the tone rolled all the way off. Of course, those early Marshalls were mighty bright amps.

One statement would've been a little out of date even for 1999, I think:

"And today, 1958-1960 Les Paul Standard guitars command extremely high prices, sometimes bringing their owners $50,000 and more."
            When I bought my Dark Honeyburst Les Paul Standard in 1994, there was a 1959 with the exact same color on the wall selling for $120,000, the price of a single-family house at the time.

Comment

What a flashback! I had that Guitar Player with the Clapton interview when it came out. Always remembered the case lining comment.

Thanks, Lew, for a trip down memory lane.

Interesting to think those guitars were only 5-10 years old when they became classics. I guess it wasn't the age of the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
                What a flashback! I had that Guitar Player with the Clapton interview when it came out. Always remembered the case lining comment.

Thanks, Lew, for a trip down memory lane.

Interesting to think those guitars were only 5-10 years old when they became classics. I guess it wasn't the age of the wood!
                Or the aged magnets.

Comment

That is a cool read.

Comment

Not sure if the article covered it but...I think it is interesting Clapton bought his Les Paul because of the influence Freddie King had on him. He later realized after playing his Beano for years Freddie King played P90s. He said when he finally played P90s he realized he lucked out with Beano because he preferred the humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      Not sure if the article covered it but...I think it is interesting Clapton bought his Les Paul because of the influence Freddie King had on him. He later realized after playing his Beano for years Freddie King played P90s. He said when he finally played P90s he realized he lucked out with Beano because he preferred the humbuckers.

So did Freddie King eventually. He switched to a Gibson ES-345's and then an ES-335 and stuck with that for the remainder of his career

Click image for larger version

Name:	blues-lesson-part-4@1400x1050 (1).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6017105

Comment

I've always seen Freddie King performing with an ES-3XX in his hands. I've only seen the P-90 Goldtop in his glamour promo photos.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          I've always seen Freddie King performing with an ES-3XX in his hands. I've only seen the P-90 Goldtop in his glamour promo photos.
                          I'm no expert on Freddie but I suspect those were 50's or maybe early 60's promo shots for King Records. I have an old 33 rpm album of his on King, with Hideaway on it. I used to perform that tune. I loved Clapton's version too.

Comment

Didn't Clapton have a different Les Paul first than Beano. I can't if it was mentioned in his memoirs when he had the Greece episode. It went something like he took a break from the Bluesbreakers and went to Greece where he performed at some club. Then things went south and he had to leave and leave a Les Paul and some Marshall amp behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
                              Didn't Clapton have a different Les Paul first than Beano. I can't if it was mentioned in his memoirs when he had the Greece episode. It went something like he took a break from the Bluesbreakers and went to Greece where he performed at some club. Then things went south and he had to leave and leave a Les Paul and some Marshall amp behind.
                              I read that book. Clapton. That story does sound familiar.

Comment

Working...
                              X