banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool interviews with Clapton and Green about their Les Paul guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Freddie King---he used the Goldtop on the early recordings, including some instrumentals and the stuff he did with Smokey Smothers. By the second instrumental album he was using a 345. He probably used the choke position on the Varitone and with the metal fingerpicks he used he got a very trebly tone. This all changed when he got with Shelter and his tone got progressively more distorted and midrangey.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
      RE: Freddie King---he used the Goldtop on the early recordings, including some instrumentals and the stuff he did with Smokey Smothers. By the second instrumental album he was using a 345. He probably used the choke position on the Varitone and with the metal fingerpicks he used he got a very trebly tone. This all changed when he got with Shelter and his tone got progressively more distorted and midrangey.
      Your comments about the goldtop are true I think. But Freddie gets a really thin bright sound on I'm Going Down, which is a Shelter record. I liked his sound on Hideaway. The 1961 single.
      I guess that's the goldtop?

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I bet that's the goldtop, as was prolly the case with the early vocal tunes. The later instrumentals sound like a 345 with Varitone, not that different. The fingerpicks were a West Side Chicago deal and Eddie Taylor, Jimmy Rogers, and others were using them. That's a big part of the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Your comments about the goldtop are true I think. But Freddie gets a really thin bright sound on I'm Going Down, which is a Shelter record. I liked his sound on Hideaway. The 1961 single.
          I guess that's the goldtop?

Really nice tone on that recording. Has the best of Gibson and some Fender qualities to it. Anyone know what amp he used?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Really nice tone on that recording. Has the best of Gibson and some Fender qualities to it. Anyone know what amp he used?
            An early P90 goldtop had pretty low wind pickups. Add in metal fingerpicks and it's gonna be pretty bright. I've seen early 60s pix of him with a brown Concert, but who knows what he used in the studio.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post

An early P90 goldtop had pretty low wind pickups. Add in metal fingerpicks and it's gonna be pretty bright. I've seen early 60s pix of him with a brown Concert, but who knows what he used in the studio.
              The recording is from 1961 so probably something brown or tweed.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If you're interested, there is a compilation of Smokey Smothers stuff with Freddie playing all the solos that predates his solo career. You can hear all his pet licks coming together. He was a bona fide Chicago player in the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                X