No announcement yet.

Tone wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that one of the factors of an acoustic instrument improving with age involves how much it is played. Just like a speaker, playing it breaks it in. If it just sits unused, I don't think that aging will have the same effect.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it also has a lot to with climate

Comment

No doubt, but acoustics in a dry climate should be stored with some sort of humidifier or bad things can happen. Same thing I suppose, if one is in the tropics, but for the opposite reason.

Comment

Where I lived in CR had a very hot and arid dry season. My guitar sounded good for about 2 months and the rest of the year it seemed very muted... But we got an avg of 102"/8' of rain annually.

Comment

When I lived in Boston I had to use a humidifier in the sound hole of my classical to keep it from shrinking and cracking in the winter. The rest of the year it was fine. I've seen bridges pull up in Arizona on guitars that weren't properly cared for.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              When I lived in Boston I had to use a humidifier in the sound hole of my classical to keep it from shrinking and cracking in the winter. The rest of the year it was fine. I've seen bridges pull up in Arizona on guitars that weren't properly cared for.

When I lived in Arizona
              my hand made mahogany table warped and bowed
              When I returned to Alabama it all went back to flat

My Martin's neck bowed a bit
              but returned when I came home
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

I used to hate the northeast sometimes. Hot humid summers and cold dry winters.

Comment

I keep the temp between 68- 69 and the humidity between 40- 55 year round. We have a few days where the humidity rises above or dips below... But not many.

Good insulation is important. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I used to hate the northeast sometimes. Hot humid summers and cold dry winters.
                    Why else do you think that I relocated to AZ?

Comment

Working...
                    X