PRS wide thin neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS wide thin neck?

What is the PRS Wide Thin neck profile on SE's like?

I have a PRS SE Nick Catanese. It's a good guitar. It sounds nice, albeit, a bit bright. But I can live with that. It's really cool looking with the dark red finish, the decently-figured flamed top, and the blank ebony board...

But man, that Wide Fat neck. Ugh. I used to think it was alright back when I got it, but the more I play it, the more I've come to dislike it. I like the Super Wizard neck on my late 90's Ibanez RG570, which is like the complete opposite. But I like moderately thin necks as well. I really dig the standard Thin U they use on LTD's and ESP's, and I can get along just fine with the Gibson 60's. Even the Ibanez SZ neck which leans a bit towards the chunky side is fine. It's just that the shape and thickness of the Wide Fat neck is a bit too round, thick, and baseball bat-y to me.

So I posted the Nick Catanese for sale locally, and I got a trade offer for a PRS SE Paul Allender. For starters, I like Cradle of Filth better than Black Label Society, LOL, but it seems to have the Wide Thin neck profile, which has me interested.

So is the Wide Thin any better? How thin is it? The thinner and flatter, the better for me, but like I said, I can still get along with the Gibson 60's just fine. I do prefer D or U-shaped necks better than C-shaped ones. Will I be happy with the Wide Thin?

They have the specs on the PRS site saying the depth at the nut is 26/32" right now, but they used to have 25/32" before. So which is it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-17-2020, 06:54 AM.

That's in the 20-21mm range, which to me is more of a thinner "medium" depth for the 1st fret. Most measure at the 1st and 12th, not the nut. (very small difference obviously)

That Ibby was probably in the 17-18mm range.

Comment

It feels pretty thin. I had one of the SE Custom 24s, maybe from 2015 or so, and it felt way thinner than the S2 Pattern Regular profile.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The wide PRS necks throw me as well

Like you , I prefer my Wizard Ii and 60s slim profile

both are 19mm at the first fret and 21mm at the 12th
        the Ibanez is more D profile while the 60s is more C

Ibanez has a 17 inch radius while the 60s uses 12
        my rg and epi both use a 42mm nut

I dont know the dimensions of th PRS necks
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I don't mind "wide". I don't think the Wide Fat neck is much wider than the Wizard. It's just that the back is too round and fat, almost to a point where it feels like a very subtle soft v.

Like I said, I like moderately thin necks as well. The Wizard is pretty unique-feeling, but I like more "generic" thin necks like the ESP Thin U or the Gibson 60's.

The fact that JBFH says it definitely feels thinner is encouraging!
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-17-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Bump! Anyone has any other thoughts?

Comment

Go for it man. It doesn’t feel like a Wizard or ESP, but I think you’ll dig it. It’s definitely in the fast category.

And you’re right, they don’t feel especially wide, either.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Slimmer than the 1960 Gibson profile and wider I find that PRS profile pretty comfortable and love the Kiesel Carvin optional thin profile. Have a 07 core Custom 24 that has the Wide Thin and the SE is close.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I only know how my Korean made PRS SE Singlecuts feel and they're just about perfect. Very much like my two PRS USA Custom 22's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0B467D98-2263-4E3C-9102-73C668F38107 - Copy.jpeg
Views:	1858
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	6017836
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Hang on... the Paul Allendar is the purple one with the bat inlays, right? DEFINITELY go for it!

Comment

None of the PRS necks will be as thin as a Wizard.

I do like the look of that Allender sig though.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I understand the Wide Thin won't be as thin as the Super Wizard on the RG570, but as long as it's towards the thinner side and shaped right, unlike the Wide Fat, I can learn to like it, just like I have with the LTD Thin U.

Yeah, it's one of the older Paul Allender Mk.I's with the purple flat top, the faux reveal binding, and gold hardware. I think I'm going to do it! Already thinking about what pickups I'm going to put in it, LOL.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-19-2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The prs Dustie Waring model has a thinner neck than the pattern thin. It is thinner than the cu/ce 24 by a mm or so. I have seen some used ones going for 1600, but I have my heart set on that flat black one, which is a new model this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X