banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much has your choice of guitars changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much has your choice of guitars changed?

Has your choice of guitars through the years changed?

I got to thinking how my choice of guitars has changed since I started playing. In my teens I was all about strats. When I pick one up now it feels kind of alien. Maybe it is the bridges... In my 20s it was Ibanez. But don't find myself buying any new ones. Maybe it is the ugly fretboard wood they currently use? In my 30s it is currently ESP LTD. So far I own 6 LTDs. Just something about a ESP that just feels right.

What about you?

First guitar was a cheap Strat copy. Then moved to affordable Floyd HSS shred guitars. Then moved to costly Les Pauls and vintage-style Strats, and later Telecasters in the mix. Now I would like an HSS or HSH to mess around with. They do some things other guitars can't. But I don't need day-glo spandex artwork on it, just the electronics, hardware configuration to make the sounds. Some of my changes were partly economic - if I had money when I was young, my first guitar would have been a Les Paul or Rickenbacker. Some of the changes are down to what music was going on at the time. Have to play what's current to get work.

Comment

I’ve become so accustomed to Strats, it’s really all I play now. Vintage style with SSL-1 or CS69, HSS or Injectors for mid level and Floyds and high output or EMGs for that stuff. The body always feels the same, the scale, just slightly different frets and profiles on each guitar.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

When I play my Strat I feel like it's the only guitar for me.

When I play my PRS I feel the same way.

When I play my ES-335 I'm amazed at how much I love it.

Only guitars I have that give me pause are my Tele and Esquire.

So I guess my tastes haven't changed much since 1970.

Amps? That's a whole other story!
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Not much. I still like pointy.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I started with a Made In Japan Epiphone Cherry Sunburst LP then sold that and built out a Warmoth Squier Strat. Then, I wound up with a cheap eBay purchase that kind of changed things; a B.C. Rich Maple Fretboard Neck on a Candy Blue Kramer F-3000 Body with Chrome Hardware/Original Floyd Rose and a Single DiMarzio Super Distortion Humbucker mounted in the bridge position. That got me into SuperStrats and that's where I'm at today....take a look at what used to be my signature line and the fact is clearly evident...

MuttznMongrelz
            1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
            1988 Kramer Nightswan
            1989 Charvel Sambora
            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
            2004 Roman Quicksilver Classic
            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star
            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 09-21-2020, 11:15 AM.
            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
            1988 Kramer Nightswan
            1989 Charvel Sambora
            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Not much. I still like pointy.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
              My tastes are pretty fluid, but I seem to always come back to a super Strat. Currently it’s an LTD M-1000. It would be foolish of me to say that I’ll never part with it, but I’m accepting that beyond everything, I’m a chugga-chugga metal guy.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

SG and Les Pauls in the 70s, Strats in the early 80s, archtops in the late 80s/90s, 335/Les Pauls since 2000 with the occasional Jazzmaster/Tele/Strat. BF/big Ampeg/tweed amps.
                Last edited by SoPhx; 09-19-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Initially I was into heavier rock music.....so was into humbuckers and the shorter scale Les Pauls. Couldn't really make strats work....or singlecoils for that matter.

After a break from playing many moons back I really worked on technique and fretting notes better. Then the strat singlecoils became my friends too.....as well as super fat neck neck profiles.

Comment

I've always liked guitars like V's and Explorers. My first guitar was a well-used early '80s Ibanez Destroyer II that I've always regretted selling. My second was a 1990 Ibanez RG570, but I never fully came to terms with the very thin neck and sharp body edges. I had a couple '80s Ibanez Maxxas guitars for a while and then fell in love with a sparkle blue Ibanez Talman TC825 that was my main guitar for a good time.

After that, I got into the various "V" shapes from Jackson, ESP and Schecter. There's something about the way a "V" hangs that I absolutely love and I find the Jackson/ESP neck profiles to be much nicer than most of Ibanez' offerings.

Somewhat more recently, I put together several Strats and Teles trying to find a combo that I connected with, but they didn't really do a whole lot for me. The two "Strat"-ish guitars I currently enjoy playing regularly are decidedly modern and non-traditional: 1) my first-gen Chapman Norseman and 2) my Washburn USA George Lynch "Outlaw" prototype

The new Fender Meteoras REALLY strike my fancy, but I have yet to play one in person. I currently have 2 Meteora-style bodies on order to remedy this. I'll be doing one up with a Tele bridge and pickups and the other will have dual rail humbuckers and a Wilkinson trem. We'll see how well I gel with them once they are together, but I think they might be a nice compromise between the "pointy" stuff and something more "classic" feeling.

Comment

I like all guitars. I hate really wide necks, guitars that are shaped like satan, has hell crap on it. And that is about it.

Comment

I always played thin fast necks. These days like a thicker neck 57- 58 Les Paul profile. The added sustain and fuller, fatter tone is awesome and after a while, the fat necks don't seem fat anymore.

Comment

I started out with a cheap Strat copy as my first electric and always stuck with those mostly, though I prefer humbuckers instead as I don't get along with Strat singles. BUT, I'm OK with split humbuckers. Go figure. Anyway, I've gotten away from Floyd Rose equipped superstrats and gravitate more towards the classics, like a Les Paul, SG, and my Frankenstrats. I still have a Kramer Baretta I bought in the mid-90s and a Dean ML my wife got me. Those are the serious rock and metal guitars visually. Not to say I don't like others, but what catches my eye more lately are the classics. A couple exceptions that have a Floyd are the Fender Player Series with Floyd Rose and the Schon guitars from the mid-80's. IDK what it is but they look cool to me.
                          Last edited by ErikH; 09-19-2020, 08:33 PM.

Comment

My first real guitar was a beautiful black Epi Les Paul. Loved it. Have had some Strats that were special, but I stay with the dual humbucker singlecuts for the most part. It is the different wood options and finish options that convince me to buy more singlecuts.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Samick Lover View Post
                              I like all guitars. I hate really wide necks, guitars that are shaped like satan, has hell crap on it. And that is about it.
                              Where would one get one of these Satan-shaped, hell crap guitars?
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X