If its 1/4 , its parallel
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      What does a multimeter say?

Volume up
      cable in jack
      Reading tip to sleave on free end of jack
      ohms please

Humbucker first
      Then with split pulled

We should know shortly
      If its half of the full humbucker then its split
      If its 1/4 , its parallel
      Good call!

Neck: 14.3K Split: 7.31K
      Bridge: 16.8K Split: 8,59K

So they're Split. Not parallel.

Wonder now if one coil is would hotter on each pickup.

I've read about these pickups and the Neck is supposed to be similar to an Air Norton which is listed by Dimarzio at 12.58K.

The bridge is supposed to be similar to a Tone Zone which Dimarzio specs at 17.3K.

Those numbers don't match what I just measured but that might be because the pickups used in the EVH, Axis and Albert Lee are all made to Eddie's specs.

Also they're in my guitar.

I turned the guitar's volume to 10 and used a short 8" George L cable I took from my pedal board.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

One more thing I learned is that pickups are identical on the EVH, Axis, Albert Lee and...one other that I forgot the name of.

But the pickups on the EVH they were two conductor.

On the Axis and the other Ernie Ball guitars they're used on the pickups are 4 conductor so they can be split.

An both the Tone Zone and Air Norton use an Alnico 5 magnet, so I'm thinking the pickups on the Axis and EVH probably do too.

But who knows?

Comment

When DiMarzios are split, I’ve noticed myself that they are still rather quiet. I guess it’s how they do things. Idk all the winding details but in my experience with them, they behave like that.

I could be wrong but I think when the model changed to the Axis from being the EVH signature, they started to use 4-conductor instead of 2 by default. Same pickups though, a B1 and a N1 is what they were designated.
          Last edited by ErikH; 09-22-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            When DiMarzios are split, I’ve noticed myself that they are still rather quiet. I guess it’s how they do things. Idk all the winding details but in my experience with them, they behave like that.

I could be wrong but I think when the model changed to the Axis from being the EVH signature, they started to use 4-conductor instead of 2 be default. Same pickups though, a B1 and a N1 is what they were designated.
            That's what I read as well. They switched to 4C so they could use that pickup in several different Ernie Ball models.

You mentioned the 1 5/8" nut width.

I prefer 1 11/16" and if I don't play this Axis for a while the narrow nut width does take some getting used to.

I've been playing it the passed week though and now that I'm used to it, I quite like it.

That's what always happens.

When I switch back to one of my other guitars it'll take me a while to get used to 1 11/16" probably.

Do you have any idea if Dimarzio uses polished or roughcast magnets in these?

They really sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

That's what I read as well. They switched to 4C so they could use that pickup in several different Ernie Ball models.

You mentioned the 1 5/8" nut width.

I prefer 1 11/16" and if I don't play this Axis for a while the narrow nut width does take some getting used to.

I've been playing it the passed week though and now that I'm used to it, I quite like it.

That's what always happens.

When I switch back to one of my other guitars it'll take me a while to get used to 1 11/16" probably.

Do you have any idea if Dimarzio uses polished or roughcast magnets in these?

They really sound great.

Most likely polished. They don’t really stray from different magnet variations from what I’ve seen.

I like the 1 5/8” nut width on really fat necks. Like the Warmoth Boatneck contour on my frankenstrat necks but with thinner necks like Gibson’s 60’s slim I prefer 1 11/16”. Go figure. The asymmetrical profile on the Axis neck is perfect for the 1 5/8” nut. Ridiculously comfortable.

Comment

in general i think hotter pups like that usually split well. its paf type pups that usually sound wimpy when you split them, though partial splits can be nice

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  in general i think hotter pups like that usually split well. its paf type pups that usually sound wimpy when you split them, though partial splits can be nice
                  Agreed. However, I was pleasantly surprised how well the Whole Lotta Humbucker neck model sounds when split. It's very Strat like, almost too glassy depending on the amp settings. Sometimes I roll the tone back a bit but it has the tone and response.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    Right. Well these pickups designed with Eddie's input sound absolutely great split. Wish they were available as a set. I'd buy a set or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X