banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected NGD Score! (Black Single Cut Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected NGD Score! (Black Single Cut Content)

I log into Fecesbook this morning, and I see a notification that there are new group messages. I hate those little red dots, so I just click on it to clear it. Under the group posts are Facebook classifieds. I see a black cheap-o '70s Les Paul copy by Univox, maybe in a TKL 7000 Series case. They are the lower end versions of TKL cases, but I actually prefer them because the lids are flat.

It's in my town. It's $250. It is indeed the 7000 Series case, and the case looks to be in excellent condition. They aren't the easiest cases to find. Most places only stock the arched top versions. I decide I want the case, and I'll sell the guitar. Free case for me. I Google the guitar, in which I have zero interest. Looks like I might actually be able to flip it and get $300 to $400 if it's in decent shape (which it looks to be).

I wrote the guy: Will you take $200? No hassles, no flaking. Can give you cash within an hour. He says $225, and I say OK.

The case would have cost me $150 from a store, and I can sell the guitar for at least $300, maybe $400 with some time. Free case plus cash, in exchange for a drive to Hollywood and back. So I go buy the guitar/case, under two hours after I first saw it.

I get it home and wipe it down and play it....and I'm blown away.

It's in nicer shape than I thought. It has all the original parts. It plays like a dream (curvy fretboard with small, low frets). It sounds better than any stock Gibson Les Paul with humbuckers that I've ever owned. The tone is just heavenly. Juicy yet clear neck pickup. Barking yet clear and bright bridge pickup. And a really beautiful sounding middle position, which is almost never the case IMO. And the pickups are awesome looking, to top them off!

This thing is NOT getting flipped. In fact, it might convince me to sell off or no longer bother playing a few much higher end guitars.

I need to tighten up a few odds and ends, give the fretboard and frets a good cleaning, and I'll probably replace the tuners before too long. I'll probably dye the fretboard black as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1390.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	6017965

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1391.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	6017966

Curvy board, narrow fretboard, and low frets. Fender-like specs on a Gibson-like neck. It's Les Paul bliss.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1392.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	6017967
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-20-2020, 03:41 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

That is seriously cool! Nice score!

Comment

A pre-lawsuit. Nice score. Some of those are real gems. I'd like to come across an Ibanez LP copy from that era around here. They're getting more and more pricey though.

Comment

Very cool!
        Congrats!!

Comment

I dig it
          Soundcloud

Comment

I was in a band with a guy in high school who had one of those. Remember liking it, and it sounding pretty good for whatever we were playing.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Day 2, still digging' it. Even more, actually.

I tightened everything up and adjusted the pickups. No more loose, rattly, misaligned guard. Pickups are sounding slightly better, even though they sounded perfectly acceptable before. Fixed the loose saddle retaining wire on the ABR-1. Fixed the loose and scratchy jack (but still needs some work that requires better tools, which I have at my studio).

Action is still too low, and the strings too light (9s) and too old, but I'll get to that later. At the time I make those changes, I'll be cleaning up the fretboard and frets, and dyeing the board black.

Still a better sounding guitar than any stock full-sized humbucker equipped Gibson Les Paul I've ever played. It has more clarity (though it still sounds beefy).

The tuners have the old Fender CBS-era F-tuner footprint, so I'll probably replace them with some variant of those. It's a cheap-o, and it has some dings, but even so, I'll avoid putting extra holes in it, if I can. That said, the idea of putting classic gold keystone waffle-back tuners on it is really appealing as well. I might just say screw it and do that.

$225 cash, with a $150 hard case. I'm still flabbergasted by that. I am officially a happy victim of the Facebook ad algorithms.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-20-2020, 08:59 PM.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Would've been a bargain even if the guitar hadn't been a good one. The guitar being great makes it a screaming deal.

It's a really good feeling when something like that falls into your lap - fate, smiling on you.

Happy for you man. Enjoy.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Bolted neck on an LP just doesn't seem right.

Comment

Try to loosen the neck screws one after the other, just one turn. You might hear that the neck was pushed into the neck route. Then tighten the screws again.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Happy NGD! Sounds like you scored. Enjoy it.
                      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                      1988 Kramer Nightswan
                      1989 Charvel Sambora
                      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                        Bolted neck on an LP just doesn't seem right.
                        Nope. But things are not always what they "seem."
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                        X