Solar Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

A big part of looking at Solar is my desire to support a smaller operation. It's no different than when I choose to shop at the locally owned hardware store rather than Lowe's or Home Depot.

The couple that runs the store are really nice, and extremely helpful and knowledgeable. When I spend more on a tape measure or some drill bits from them, I'm seeing exactly where the money is going. Same with Ola... If I spend a few bucks more on one of his guitars than an LTD, I'm OK with it.
    Are you sure about that? He has his gear manufactured by a major guitar manufacturing plant in Asia that makes also LTD, Squier, Cort, Washburn, Ibanez(?) using computerized machinery and hi-end OEM parts, with international distribution.

I have nothing against Ola. I just don't have the altruistic nature. I am all business, cost vs. benefits.

If you have a thousand bucks to burn, look further east. Japanese brands like Tokai and FGN are priced under 2000, all MIJ and Gotoh parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive
      Combined with the miniscule labor cost in Indonesia, you can imagine how fat his profit margin of each guitar.

Sadly some in the forum have adamantly pointed out how he would rather spend his money on Ola's gear than on guitars offered by a faceless corporation. There goes the limit to stupid.
      I won't say anything as melodramatic as "there goes the limit to stupid," but arguing that it's dumb to buy from a small business because of "fat" profit margins in lieu of buying from a large corporation doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
        Sadly some in the forum have adamantly pointed out how he would rather spend his money on Ola's gear than on guitars offered by a faceless corporation. There goes the limit to stupid.
        Classy

Just to clarify things for the masses...you're the one making baseless claims and self-proclaiming your astute business acumen, but you clearly can't see the whole picture. No sense in having a conversation with someone as shortsighted as you

Comment

I won't say anything as melodramatic as "there goes the limit to stupid," but arguing that it's dumb to buy from a small business because of "fat" profit margins in lieu of buying from a large corporation doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
          Its all about price. I bought two LTD guitars recently. One was a MII for $450 (list 799). The other was a MIK for 960 (list 1199).

You can buy a MII LTD for $600-650 any day of the week. Will it be as nice as the Solar? Its probably made in the same factory but has stainess frets and 1000 series Floyd. OTH, I don't think it will be as nice as the MIK and yet it costs more.

I have nothing against Ola, but if LTD can sell a MII through retailers for $650, how does an equivalent quality MII mail order direct guitar end up costing almost twice that? Because stainless frets? Yeah, no. His profit margin is huge.

I love myself some cheap guitars, but I don't like overpaying for cheap guitars.

Comment

My point is that why would anyone with the right mind pay a thousand bucks for a guitar made in a country where it costs a penny to produce? If you want to spend a thousand bucks, make your money worth, be reasonable. Buy an MIA Strat, Gibson, or Japanese Ibanez Prestige cause the price is what you are 'supposed' to pay from labor standpoint.

Kinda like buying Nikes. Those paying a hundred bucks for an Air Jordan have their logic up their ass. It probably costs 10 bucks to make by a contract manufacturer in Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Classy

Just to clarify things for the masses...you're the one making baseless claims and self-proclaiming your astute business acumen, but you clearly can't see the whole picture. No sense in having a conversation with someone as shortsighted as you
              As far as I am concerned you are having a conversation with yourself cause I have been ignoring you from day one. How 'bout that for shortsighted? Lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

As far as I am concerned you are having a conversation with yourself cause I have been ignoring you from day one. How 'bout that for shortsighted? Lol...
                Play that fiddle, brotha'...no one cares

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

but if LTD can sell a MII through retailers for $650, how does an equivalent quality MII mail order direct guitar end up costing almost twice that? Because stainless frets? Yeah, no. His profit margin is huge.
                  Maybe cause he doesn't move as many units thus his basecost is higher than that of ESP owned company? Just guessing... I mean, if I buy for example wood for 10000 guitars, when the guitars are ready, my per unit cost is way lower than if I only bought wood for the production of 1000 guitars. Everyone is entitled to a preference and don't even need to tell the reason behind the choice, but estimating profit based on MSRP is not the right way to go methinks... It's the difference between the MSRP and production cost and please dont tell me that you think that a company like Solar can produce an instrument for the same price as ESP/LTD/Ibanez/Jackson/Fender/Younameit

Comment

I've never seen such a heated argument over a particular brand of guitars which are obviously (and suspiciously) backwards...

Comment

For me, it’s kind of a moot discussion now.

Ended up spending a lot more on a guitar that’s as far from the stuff we’ve been discussing here as possible. NGD thread once it arrives.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                      X