Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    If you're concerned about resale value, buying a new guitar is pretty stupid, regardless of brand.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

Meh...you forget that not everyone lives in the US and evidently there are differences in prices between countries. How 'bout that for a hole?

I never subscribe to the idea that US-made guitars are better from non-western ones (sve that for sixty-year old farts in the forum). After all they are machine not hand made (which would yield inaccuracy and inconsistency, but that's different story). I have Korean and Indonesia guitars that are of equal craftsmanship to Japanese Prestige. The main advantage of a Japanese or US made guitars is the resale/ investment value not quality.
    You're changing the goal posts to keep your argument relevant. Your earlier statement was that your issue with these guitars is in the profit margins based on labor costs in the country of origin. No one has mentioned a thing about resale or investment value. Even with those things in mind, the depreciation on a used Prestige is substantial. They aren't "investments" at all.

And I haven't forgotten that not everyone lives in the U.S. The reality is that many guitars are more expensive in Europe, Japan, etc. than in the U.S.

If you have a link to a "new" $1200-equivalent Prestige in your country of residence, feel free to share. I'm sure someone here would be interested in such a deal!

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    I'll add that I emailed Solar this past Saturday night, asking about a certain model. Got a reply Sunday, within 12 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied
    Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

The hole in your argument is right in front of you...the Premium is $200 less because it doesn't cost as much to make. That doesn't mean it's "20% less of a guitar"!

Furthermore, where are you seeing "new" Prestige models for $1200? I think you'll find Premiums are $1000-$1300 and most Prestige models are nearing $2K at this point. That's a HUGE price difference for very little actual difference between guitars in terms of hardware, features, etc. You're paying for the *idea* that one origin is better than another, but that doesn't translate into actual differences in product like it once did.
    Meh...you forget that not everyone lives in the US and evidently there are differences in prices between countries. How 'bout that for a hole?

I never subscribe to the idea that US-made guitars are better from non-western ones (sve that for sixty-year old farts in the forum). After all they are machine not hand made (which would yield inaccuracy and inconsistency, but that's different story). I have Korean and Indonesia guitars that are of equal craftsmanship to Japanese Prestige. The main advantage of a Japanese or US made guitars is the resale/ investment value not quality.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Besides, would you rather support a faceless corporation or a dude with a family who works his @$$ off and does tongue-in-cheek gear demos in his socks?

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Lots of opinions here, obviously.

Since nobody really has first hand experience with a Solar, I suppose I’m obligated to get one

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    It's not the build quality that matters, it's the price. As labor cost in Indonesia is lower than that in the US, guitar makers make a lot FATTER profit margin from any guitar than they would, if the guitars were made in the USA.

For the same reason I am not paying 1000 dollars for an Ibanez Premium. Add 200 hundred dollars more I can get a brand new MIJ Prestige, the real deal.
    The hole in your argument is right in front of you...the Premium is $200 less because it doesn't cost as much to make. That doesn't mean it's "20% less of a guitar"!

Furthermore, where are you seeing "new" Prestige models for $1200? I think you'll find Premiums are $1000-$1300 and most Prestige models are nearing $2K at this point. That's a HUGE price difference for very little actual difference between guitars in terms of hardware, features, etc. You're paying for the *idea* that one origin is better than another, but that doesn't translate into actual differences in product like it once did.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Cheapest new Prestige I see is $1500.

Not saying they’re the same guitar or quality, but that it’s a 50% increase.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied
    It's not the build quality that matters, it's the price. As labor cost in Indonesia is lower than that in the US, guitar makers make a lot FATTER profit margin from any guitar than they would, if the guitars were made in the USA.

For the same reason I am not paying 1000 dollars for an Ibanez Premium. Add 200 hundred dollars more I can get a brand new MIJ Prestige, the real deal.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Country of Origin is definitely a thing of the past. Guitars are built to a price-point, regardless of where they are made, and they either use quality parts and get proper quality-controlled or they don't.

Someone from Indonesia is just as capable of spraying a killer finish, pressing frets, and installing hardware as someone from the U.S. or Japan. We all have hands, eyes, and the ability to be trained in certain skills. There used to be a gap in quality that was largely apparent by country of origin. In the mid-level price segment, that gap has all but closed.

These Solar guitars are priced competitively, as well. Obviously, these smaller brands (Chapman, Solar, etc) suffer from a mature distribution network, but that's all the more reason to support them, if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    I had an Ibanez Tosin Abasi 8 string about a year ago. The build quality was as good as any other production guitar I’ve owned, despite being Indonesian. I think they were like $1200 or $1400 new. It had real DiMarzio pickups, and otherwise quality hardware, but not premium tuners or bridge, and no stainless frets. The felt very similar in quality to the MIJ 7621 neck on my current 7, and the fretwork was just as good.

My current mandolin is a Northfield, built in China from USA supplied materials. It sounds different than the $10,000 Gibson Master Model I had previously, but the build quality is at least as good, and the fit and finish is better. It also came stock with higher quality tuners, and a $150 tailpiece compared to the $25 stamped metal Gibson tailpiece.

In other words, I agree that country of origin is irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• singularity6
    replied
    Originally posted by Top-L View Post
    They are indonesian 1000 dollar guitars. They uses a 12th fret logo to distinguish themselves. Besides the logo, they are nondescript contract build guitars.

while ola is entertaining, I wouldn't want an instrument associated with him. For same reason I wouldn't want a chapman.

Also would not want guitar without inlays. Are they decent? Probably just as good as the indonesian ltd's and Ibanez guitars. You want to pay extra for ola's inlay?
    The inlay issue is definitely subjective. I personally like the Solar inlay design.

I feel that Solar and Chapman guitars are competitively priced with their competition. $700-$1300 seems to be the price range that most professional level imports are set at these days. I have an Indonesian made PRS SE (35th anniversary edition, $999.) The build is fairly close to flawless. For the same price I paid for this PRS, I guess I could get an Ibanez RG 550 that is made in Japan, but I'm not convinced that the country of origin makes as much of a difference as it used to. I've picked up and played a number of Player Series Strats. They're great. Epiphone? Yeah... they've really upped their game, too. In fact, I've played several Gibsons and Epiphones in stores. In the end, I found that the quality control was way tighter for the Epiphones. Some of the Gibson guitars were flat out unplayable, which is a real shame.

Looking at the Solar guitars specifically - Duncan Solar pickups, Evertunes, Floyd Rose 1000... all quality parts. Yeah, I think you're getting a tour-grade instrument, and the prices really don't seem all that premium to me.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    You want to pay extra for ola's inlay?
    And stainless frets, an Evertune bridge, and luminous side dots. Equally important to me anymore is where my money is ultimately headed.

Ola’s a goofball, and seems like the kind of person I’d be friends with. He’s not some ******y CEO who could be interchanged with any other random asshat without having an effect on the end product. The older I get, the more stuff like that matters to me.

Like I said before, I’m sure I could get a comparable Schecter or LTD for less (and I love both of those brands), but I like Ola, and would feel good about supporting him.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied
    It's based on Washburn Solar his sig model. I'd get a Washburn Parallaxe for a third of the price, and none of his goofiness.

Leave a comment:

• Samick Lover
    replied
    They are indonesian 1000 dollar guitars. They uses a 12th fret logo to distinguish themselves. Besides the logo, they are nondescript contract build guitars.

while ola is entertaining, I wouldn't want an instrument associated with him. For same reason I wouldn't want a chapman.

Also would not want guitar without inlays. Are they decent? Probably just as good as the indonesian ltd's and Ibanez guitars. You want to pay extra for ola's inlay?
    Why is that? Would you not want a Greg Bennett or a Les Paul for the same reason?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X