banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you trust guitar shops you don't know for repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you trust guitar shops you don't know for repair?

I mean, let's say you moved to a new town or whatever and you don't know the owner of that shop. Would you leave your guitar there if it didn't work? I know I sound crazy, but who knows. Have you ever had a bad experience with guitar repair? For example the guy didn't really pay attention and the guitar had scratches or whatever? I made a topic in the past about my Fernandes Dragonfly not making any sound anymore and I am thinking of giving it somewhere for repair.

I do most of my own repairs when something is too complex or something I do not want to deal with I have one guy I deal with. People ship him guitars for repair from all over the country. He is an hour's drive for me but sometimes I ship also.

Comment

I don't now if I'd go somewhere I wasn't recommended. These days, it is easy to ask questions about experiences on social media or look up reviews. Ask some musicians in town on a social media group for your area.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Usually I'll take one by for something small and see how that turns out

One place I had grown to trust laid off the tech who did the good work and the owner attempted the work
        he was less than acceptable
        I was polite and never went back
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Not really. When I moved to Greece, it took me 2 years to finally trust my guitars with my local shop. Then I moved back to the U.S. 6 months later...

Now I only trust one of the best shops in my state.
          Last edited by Snake Aces; 09-21-2020, 01:22 PM.
          Soundcloud

Comment

Nope.

I need to know someone who has had good work done by a shop before I'd take anything in. Learned that the hard way.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yes. I've had a few guitar techs do work on my stuff and they've all been horrible.

Comment

I'd consider it for simple rewiring or a pickup swap if I really couldn't find the time to do it myself.

But for anything like finish or fret work I'd want to be sure it was in expert hands.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I would never just take it to a local shop. I call the manufacturer and ask them to recommend an authorized repair person.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I would never just take it to a local shop. I call the manufacturer and ask them to recommend an authorized repair person.
                    I did that once with a Fender
                    and after two hours of driving the tech told me I was Too Picky

Ok
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I don't even trust the ones I do know. One shop here in Phx did a fair amount of work for me but they stole vintage parts, lost them, worked on a 40s archtop on a guitar bench with screws on it so the back is marked up, etc etc. Morons and thieves.

Comment

Well, many authorized repair people just pay to be on that list. They might have to take an online test, but it is a pretty low bar, and I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Comment

If you want something done right...

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, these days, there is a ton of info online and some great books. I tend to DIY for everything that doesn't entail real woodworking. The trick is knowing what I am comfortable doing, and what I am not.

Comment

Right now I am comfortable with everything up to woodworking. I'd like to get better at that.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X