Steel string acoustic opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel string acoustic opinions

I really want a Taylor big baby but I'm on a serious Ovation kick right now.
    I've never played a martin and the only other model/brand I've tried that I liked is the Ibanez, I think it's the art core series.

What are your favorite steel strings?
    Last edited by solspirit; 09-20-2020, 12:13 PM.

Eastman makes some excellent stuff for a great value.

I had one of their most inexpensive dreads, solid spruce top, lam sides and back, and in retrospect, I think it was better than my 60’s Gibson SJ. Had a clearer, punchier tone, and I liked the neck shape better.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think Godin just came out with a nice acoustic line, also. I am an Ovation fan, too. But you have to spend a little money to get the better sounding ones.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I currently have a Martin and an Epiphone

Yamaha makes some awesome acoustics for tight budgets

I had an Applause years ago

Seagull makes some nice ones
        Takimine, I think I spelled that right
        Guild.

Never plays a bad Taylor

EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

i really like older guilds but i mostly play martin and taylors. for a very long time i played a 60's hofner j45 copy which was great, probably wasnt worth much but it was really nice guitar. gibsons, martins, talyors, ovations, guilds, takamine... they all sound different. i had an ovation for a decade and it was a good live guitar

Comment

Taylor for solo voice/acoustic
            Martin for lead acoustic or primary rhythm with an acoustic band
            Gibson for primary rhythm to mix with electric guitars in a band
            Guild for background/secondary rhythm in either electric or acoustic bands

Comment

Guilds from the '80s and '90s will give you the best bang for your buck in a "professional level" acoustic guitar. They are as well made as the best big factories made 'em, and cheaper.

I've never fallen in love with a Taylor, for some reason. They just have never had "it" when I've tried them – body, volume, balance, cut-through, shimmer, personality – whatever that intangible "it" is. It's almost like they're too mild mannered and well behaved, or something like that. They've always bored me with their tone, and I've given them a lot of chances. Then again, I am very spoiled by how stunningly great my three acoustics sound. The youngest one is older than the Taylor company itself (though I'm not really a believer in the "older is better" philosophy for acoustics).
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-21-2020, 01:41 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

A completely opposite direction- my Variax Acoustic has no acoustic sound whatsoever, But it sounds great through an acoustic amp or PA, which is how I use it. My Godin Multiac sounds sort of like a banjo acoustically, but sounds great through amplification. They are thin, very easy-to-play guitars built for that purpose only...not really to sound great in a room. That's why I bought them.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have two Taylors, a Seagull and two Blueridge acoustics.

I prefer the OM body style with spruce top and rosewood back and sides.

Value wise, I think the Blueridge and Eastman guitars are the nicest sounding guitars for the money.

I've owned some nice Martins but my Blueridge guitar sounded better than the Martins in the showroom costing $2000 - 3000!
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I really like Martin D-28s. To me, they sound exactly like an acoustic guitar should sound. But they're also crushingly expensive. There are plenty of knock-off versions of this guitar, if you try a bunch you can probably find a great sounding one.

Taylor's x14 bodies with the cutaway are probably the most comfortable guitars I've played. There's certainly some variety between the bracing and wood types, but on the whole they tend to sound a little brighter/less bassy and a be a little better for fingerpicking than the regular dreadnought shape. It's weird (but very nice) to have an acoustic where you can fret up high with no problems and where your fingers are free to navigate to anywhere they want to go.

Other than that there are plenty of nice acoustics out there at cheaper price points. L'Arrive, Guild, Yamaha, Takamine, Seagull . . . you really just need to try a bunch and see what works.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I do like playing a cutaway but I wonder sometimes if it takes away from the volume or tone of the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        I've never fallen in love with a Taylor, for some reason. They just have never had "it" when I've tried them – body, volume, balance, cut-through, shimmer, personality – whatever that intangible "it" is. It's almost like they're too mild mannered and well behaved, or something like that. They've always bored me with their tone, and I've given them a lot of chances.
                        This is precisely why I can only stand Taylor’s for solo voice/acoustic. They just don’t mix well with other instruments.

Comment

I am not a big acoustic guy. I paid $499 for my Steve Vai Ibanez and it is one of the best sounding acoustics I have heard acoustic or plugged in.

The EP5 is an incredibly thin acoustic guitar. It boasts a very shallow body and an electric style thin neck. My biggest concern about this guitar before hearing it was would this guitar have enough projection unplugged. Outfitted with a spruce top and a larger sound hole the EP5 is a not only loud but also beautiful sounding guitar.

The neck is made from solid mahogany adding stability to the instrument and plenty of sustain. The neck meets the body at the 14th, not the 12th fret giving comfortable access to higher notes. The classic Florentine cutaway takes over at the 14th fret giving you access to the entire two-octave neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I am not a big acoustic guy. I paid $499 for my Steve Vai Ibanez and it is one of the best sounding acoustics I have heard acoustic or plugged in.

Now I want one
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                              I do like playing a cutaway but I wonder sometimes if it takes away from the volume or tone of the guitar.
                              There's a difference. If I never played up above the 12th fret, I wouldn't get a cutaway.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X