Steel string acoustic opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

There's a difference. If I never played up above the 12th fret, I wouldn't get a cutaway.
    My classical isn't a cutaway but I try to act like a masterful guitarist. Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

There's a difference. If I never played up above the 12th fret, I wouldn't get a cutaway.
      Tell me what you think it is?
      I have somewhat of an idea how sound waves travel, and the cutaway would definitely be a disruption in the pathway.
      I'm thinking both volume, tone and sustain.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I have somewhat of an idea how sound waves travel, and the cutaway would definitely be a disruption in the pathway.
        please explain

Comment

It would be impossible for me to explain to you without drawing charts, and I'm not going to do that but this is a fairly simple explanation.
          A wave in a rope doesn't just stop when it reaches the end of the rope. Rather, it undergoes certain behaviors such as reflection back along the rope and transmission into the material beyond the end of the rope. But what if the wave is traveling in a two-dimensional medium such as a water wave traveling through ocean water? What types of behaviors can be expected of such two-dimensional waves? This is the question explored in this Lesson.

Comment

I understand diffraction of sound waves but there is no explanation there of how a florintine cut would alter sound and if it did couldn't it be for the better?

Comment

I've always wanted an Ovation with the offset sound holes. I used to have an Ovation with the standard center sound hole and a single cutaway. I loved it. Martin, Guild, Taylor, Breedlove and Rainsong are one's that I wish I could afford.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Demanic; 09-21-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

It could be better, I don't know and I don't know if any study's of that were made.
                ​​​​​​

Comment

I tend to go for a non-standard-sounding acoustic, so it needs to have a great pickup sound that I can process. My (carbon fiber) Adamas does that, but the deep bowl can be uncomfortable for 3 or 4 sets.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I was able to compare a few different standard vs cutaway models of the same guitar. Pretty consistently seemed like there was a touch more volume and a little fuller sound without a cutaway, and with the cutaway it's a little brighter/more delicate sounding. While it wasn't always night and day, I tended to prefer the no cutaway sound.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                      X