Replacing the nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the nut

2017 Gibson SG Special, this my own guitar and not a customer's, I am replacing the nut however it is not cooperating, carefully scored the edges with a fresh exacto and lightly taped it with a block of wood sized to the nut and small hammer, it is a little loose but is not letting go. Should I score some more? Im reluctant to "tap" any harder. Any advise before I begin again?
    "I can't play the blues if Im sad"

Using end nippers of the correct size, grasp it and pull straight up gently.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

This guy might be able to help: https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2...on-corian-nut/
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

It has rocked back and bound on the shelf

Tap it back down and then from one side
        Lightly
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I love the way this guy explains things. Here's a step-by-step for "standard" jobs and not-so-standards:

Right, cue up the immature jokes. It’s time to learn to deal with a stuck nut. Let’s go…

Removing a nut from a Gibson guitar or bass isn’t hugely difficult but there are a couple of things that can trip you up and cause problems. Find out how to do it safely…

Comment

Working...
          X