Jazz strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz strats

I just wired this one and it came out epic! Fralin minis in series with a 500k volume, spin a split, and 2 250k no load tones, 1 with a 3nf pio and 1 with an 18nf pio. It sounds nice and zingy but fat - exactly what I wanted to go with the bright guitar itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jazz mini.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	6018516

Here's the one I've had dialed for a while - way darker with 59s, my double thick hybrid mags, and flatwound strings. The pickups use a 3 way toggle like usual and it uses the 4 way switch as a varitone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jazz strat 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	6018517
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-22-2020, 03:24 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Nice.
    Sound?
    Is the bottom one the one you used in your theory thread? I thought that one had a nice sound.
    Last edited by PS412; 09-22-2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, the bottom one was the one in the theory thread clip. The new pickguard I put together is for a contrasting zingy roundwound jazz tone. Just a hum wasn't fat enough and my Phat Cats were too thin so it came to me that I could put 2 zingy pups in series and it would probably work. The Fralins are perfect for it. I'll try to work up a clip here. The controls on the guitar all on 10, still pretty bright and detailed with both pups in series. I put the mic on the edge of the speaker right up against the grill.

Last edited by Clint 55; 09-22-2020, 04:48 PM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

I like your jazz Strats.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thx!
          I bought them for you

Comment

I always played jazz and fusion on my Strats, although I have a bridge pickup, too. I just only use it when doing more rockin' stuff, or when the melodies are lower on the fretboard.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think you built yourself a couple of fine instruments. Nice job. They sound great to my ears.

Comment

Color me surprised at the tone of your axe. I do love the sound of 2 humbuckers in series.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

^ Thanks! I was also surprised at the tone of the 2 mini hums in series. It sounds almost the same as one on its own, just boosted. I was trying to think what pickups to use to put in series and I came up with some other ideas but then knew the Fralin mini hums would be perfect. Fralin is the man when it comes to ultra detail.

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                  I think you built yourself a couple of fine instruments. Nice job. They sound great to my ears.
                  Thanks! It's been 2 years since I decided to first try a prototype 1 neck hum jazz pickguard in my warmoth strat. Reached the goal.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I always played jazz and fusion on my Strats, although I have a bridge pickup, too. I just only use it when doing more rockin' stuff, or when the melodies are lower on the fretboard.
                  Yep, the middle full size humbucker will get more percussive tones. I like wiring so thought may as well give it a try and it worked.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

The latest one. A2/A3 Phat Cat bridge and A5/A6 mini hum shaped p90. They're in series with a spin a split and phase switch to split to either one.

Really diggin this. I wanted p90 and mini hum goodness but I didn't want to go thinner than full size humbuckers. Putting them in series worked great. I made up a new thing. Who does this for jazz? Noone. They have to all play their jazz boxes or teles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	p90 jazz strat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	6023535
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 10-20-2020, 11:45 PM.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Repent

Jazz is evil
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Adieu is back!
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I'm thinking that this is mine. Getting ready to swap the stock ceramics with some A3's and an A5.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I'm thinking that this is mine. Getting ready to swap the stock ceramics with some A3's and an A5.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            Are you managing to get decent sounds out of that Micro Cube? Or just using it purely for portability?
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

While I love to play Jazz on a Strat, there really aren't a ton of legit Joe Pass-style players over the years that have chosen a Strat as their guitar. I think that it is time there are some.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X