1985 Tokai TLC-65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Tokai TLC-65

Looking for info on this 1985 MIJ Tokai TLC-65 as far as build quality/materials or anything in general, thanks.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM.

Dude, wow. Those are sweet guitars. Standard LP fare, mahogany with maple cap. Good stuff. I see that and think of early 80's Neal Schon. He had a Gibby LP Custom with that burst.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      Dude, wow. Those are sweet guitars. Standard LP fare, mahogany with maple cap. Good stuff. I see that and think of early 80's Neal Schon. He had a Gibby LP Custom with that burst.
      I remember that one. I knew Neal was gifted in the 1970's. Ive chatted with him on FB, he's just a regular guy & extraordinary virtuoso.
      Im trying to work a deal on this one, as usual its down to the wire and not easy.
      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 09-22-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Lawsuit guitar and for a reason those were better in that era than the Gibson's! KILLER guitars!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

I remember that one. I knew Neal was gifted in the 1970's. Ive chatted with him on FB, he's just a regular guy & extraordinary virtuoso.
          Im trying to work a deal on this one, as usual its down to the wire and not easy.
          I love his style. Since joining a Journey Tribute band recently I've begun to study his style more and really dig it. Some has been more difficult than others and had to rework a few parts I "thought" I was playing right...lol. Minor adjustments. If anything this is forcing me to learn more and expand my own style.

I have one LP but would love to snag another one whether it be older or new. Got a few other things to take care of first and save up. Those old Tokai's are amazing. I hope you can work out a good deal on it.
          Last edited by ErikH; 09-22-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

the 1985 tokai catalog says it's all mahogany with a rosewood board, but doesnt list cherry sunburst as a color. I would assume that this one was either made in 85 but an 1986 model or this catalog is mislabeled/has the burst on a different page. either way i love japanese les pauls and this looks pretty sweet!
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
              http://www.gnapp.net/85_tokai_catalo...ue_page_11.jpg

the 1985 tokai catalog says it's all mahogany with a rosewood board, but doesnt list cherry sunburst as a color. I would assume that this one was either made in 85 but an 1986 model or this catalog is mislabeled/has the burst on a different page. either way i love japanese les pauls and this looks pretty sweet!
              Catalog is showing a TLC-60. OP is showing a TLC-65

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Catalog is showing a TLC-60. OP is showing a TLC-65
                oh yeah! duh!
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I know Robert Fripp used one of these Tokai LPs for years. One of his favorite guitars.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So got up O'dark thirty to meet the guy 1/2 way, traded a MESA MK IV head, guitar exceeds my expectations.
                    One piece Mahogany neck, Mahogany body w/a 1/2 inch Maple cap.
                    Replaced the stock pups with Duncans SH-5 & 59. Very easy to setup.
                    The harmonic overtones & attack on this LP are incredible. Old growth tone woods.
                    Very happy.
                    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 09-23-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Nice! I've got a Burny LPC from around the same period and it smokes. Great tone, great sustain.
                      Like you say, good wood. High quality models got the best pieces, carefully selected.
                      Even the factory humbuckers were very good; mine got new pots but the pickups are stock.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Man, that is sweet. You got a good one. How much does it weigh?

Comment

Nice. 1/2 inch cap. I’m sure a Custom/59 would be pretty solid in that.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            Man, that is sweet. You got a good one. How much does it weigh?
                            8.4lbs thats Gibson CS weight. Neck profile is chunkier than a gibby 60's but not quite 58' baseball bat size. I find myself reaching a little more than im used to as most of my LP's have been a 60's profile or close.
                            Very comfortable, chewy when you dig in, tone is again just off the hook.
                            Was a worthy trade for sure.

Comment

looks great! i have no idea what a mkIV goes for these days but thats a nice guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X