Guitar tone..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar tone..

Not sure if this should be here or in the pickup section, but... Since I have to sell off my harum... I got my Squier strat outta the shed.. ( Not worth anything to sell, but important to me..) This is the guitar I did most of my learning on, and ALL my mod learning on..
    I have put Sperzel keys, had a bone nut put on (under warranty thank goodness as the stock plastic one cumbled) Put a 3 ply pg, Blue lace sensor neck, Silver middle and Red bridge (that was then replaced with a couple humbuckers, currently a Duncan C5).. 500 k pots, push pull in bridge to split the bucker and new toggle.
    The issue Im having is ... When playing the bridge bucker, I get a "squelchy" tone that actually sounds like Id expect from a single coil. This happens in both positions, but even more when its not split.. What would cause that? Cap? (IIRC, the cap is prolly orange drop 022) Other positions sound good/normal..
    Suggestions?? Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

not the cap unless its wired wrong

the rest of everything sounds normal? is the output higher than the lace pups? do you have a multimeter handy?

Comment

Lower it
      it's too high
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Did you somehow wire the pickup in parallel? Because that sounds much more single coil than when in series.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ditch the coil split and see what happens.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            not the cap unless its wired wrong

the rest of everything sounds normal? is the output higher than the lace pups? do you have a multimeter handy?
            Yes, everything else sounds normal. Output seems pretty balanced to me. And.... yes, have a multimeter that I got from harbor frieght, but I cant for the life of me, figure out how to use it.. There are so many settings and adjustments, it boggles my mind...

Demanic,
            I may have, but don't know for sure.. done the same wiring in the past with no issues. But, anything is possible. I often have to hurry with my wiring as my wife hates when I have have the dining room table set up as a work station..

Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

set the meter to 20k ohms, turn all the controls full up, plug a short cable into the jack and put the meter contacts on the tip and sleeve of the other end of the cable and see what ya get. should be like 14k for the c5

Comment

Jeremy, my multi meter has a 20k setting, (and 50 others, ugh) but it also has 3 places to plug in the leads. 10ADC, Vupside down horseshoe thing mA, and COM. I assume one of the plugs (red or black) has to go in the MA setting, but where does the other go? I tried the various settings and the numbers just start going all over the place.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Also,.... i played it a couple min with my hearing aids in. And on ALL positions (neck Blue lace sensor, mid silver Lace and bridge Duncan c5), it has has that sound. When I first strike the chords, I get this bright glass breaking kind of sound. I immediately plugged up a diff axe to make sure it wasnt windows rattling or something else, but its def the guitar..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

you want the ohms (upsidedown shoe thing) and common. if all the settings sound weird, there is definitely something wrong with it. a clear detailed picture might help. if this guitar hasnt been played in a while there might be some corrosion too

Comment

Ill look into it early next week. been very busy and wife home next few days. will try the upside down horshoe setting lower the pup. As far as I recall, always sounded good before. Will also check for corrosion in the cavity. Thanks will report back after I cross those bridges.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Sadly, I need to sell it, but being an inexpensive though highly modded squier strat, not worth a dang, Would love to hold onto it as this is the guitar I did A) all my mod learning on, and B)most of my basic playing learning on. May try to figure how to keep for those reasons, but Im both surprised by the tone issues as I NEVER noticed before and those issues make it not so savvory for me to keep. crappy Hock shop offered me like $50 for it... But, im wondering...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

IMO for the price that guitar would bring, it'd be worth keepin it. Especially since it has sentimental value beyond its worth.

I bet it would sound a lot less harsh with a 250K volume pot - that's the norm for Strats.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I was going to suggest that maybe the C5 was OOP compared to the Lace Sensors, until you said that it worked before you got it out of storage.

If you absolutely MUST sell it, remove the C5 1st. Maybe even the LS's, and sell them separately. I'll send you a humbucker and two singles to put back in there place, if you want. (Free.)

Comment

You said you got it out of the shed. How long was the guitar outside and what part of the country do you live in? I am wondering if there is corrosion from condensation on any of the internals of the electronics.

Comment

Working...
                              X