NGD - Dean Leslie West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Dean Leslie West

Bought this on Goodwill.com - it was advertised as for parts or repair... Arrived today wrapped in enough bubble wrap to ship an Edsel. It looks brand spanking new.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	b658c2f30d6d62200.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	6018932
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Dude, that's a great score!

I have to admit, I was hoping it was a version with his signature pickup in it, but that's still a really cool guitar! Can't believe it made it through the hands of Goodwill in such fine shape!

Comment

And I plugged it in..... nothing. Time for some detective work. But, damn - it looks sharp as hell.

Comment

Wow! That is a beauty! Get it up and running, crank the amp and "DA DA DE DUM....Mississippi Queen baby!

Comment

I have a pal itching to try "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" on it.

Comment

Always liked Dean West models. Made in Korea maybe, not sure.

Comment

Might be. Doesn't have country of origin on it, but my white Caddy was made there.

Comment

Well good thing is that there probably not much that could go wrong with the electronics. Hopefully it isn't the pickup itself, as unlikely as that is.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well good thing is that there probably not much that could go wrong with the electronics. Hopefully it isn't the pickup itself, as unlikely as that is.
                  No problem if it's dead. I got it cheap, and I have ten grand in pickups in the next room.... I'm thinking a Lindy Fralin....

Comment

Nice! I dig it.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

No problem if it's dead. I got it cheap, and I have ten grand in pickups in the next room.... I'm thinking a Lindy Fralin....
                      No doubt that will sound better than the stock Dean import pickup.

Comment

Wow. That is a great score. Fixing the electronics is easy. Could be as simple as a wire disconnected from the jack.

Comment

Well, all the wires were cut in this thing. WTH? Anyway, poked in a new Switchcraft jack, and it's ready to go. The sound is underwhelming to say the least. No drive at all. Clean through the Fender it's not bad, especially with some reverb. In the Marshall, noisy as hell and truly weak suck. Not much sustain, either. That cheapo tailpiece has problems, too. The strings move around on it pretty easily. It's not really intonated either. Probably something with mass would help out.

If anyone else wants to get one, there is another one on Goodwill.com from the same Florida Goodwill. The wires are cut in it, plus it comes with another Dean P-90 and cover, with the wires cut short. Supposed to have a case, too....

Something in the water? I'll have to play it more before I make a decision. But damn, it does look righteous.

Comment

Maybe a better pickup can rescue it? The cheaper import Deans all suffer from pickups that are, um, a little off (I am trying to be nice as I know several people who work at Dean in Tampa).

Comment

Maybe a better pickup can rescue it? The cheaper import Deans all suffer from pickups that are, um, a little off (I am trying to be nice as I know several people who work at Dean in Tampa).
                              If I decide to keep it, I'm thinking a Lindy Fralin humbucking P-90. Awesome sound, and quiet.

I wouldn't call a $900 retail guitar cheap by any means. My Dean Caddy is stock and it sounds fantastic through the Marshall It's the only guitar I own that is bone stock and perfect as is.

Maybe you should introduce me to one of your Dean friends sometime.... I've been a fan since they debuted decades ago, even though they've had many variations.

Comment

Working...
                              X