Satin Poly finishes - durable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satin Poly finishes - durable?

So guitar manufacturers latest trend seems to be satin or matte finishes. I like to keep my guitars nice and new looking, being that I’m more than a little OCD, and have always avoided satin finishes for this reason. That being said, it seemed to only be used as a cost saving method on nitro finishes, which are already very delicate, but now seems to be being used on polyurethane. Every poly finished guitar I’ve had has been very durable as far as finish goes, but does that extend to these new satin poly finishes? If anyone has any experience please chip in, but keep in mind I’m very aware how delicate satin nitro is. Thanks everyone.
    "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

I've found that satin poly finishes turn into gloss in areas where your arm/clothes contact them after a good 8 - 10 years of use. Other than that, they're pretty bulletproof. If you really bang them hard they'll crack and chip like all poly finishes . . . but they're much tougher than nitro.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      I've found that satin poly finishes turn into gloss in areas where your arm/clothes contact them after a good 8 - 10 years of use. Other than that, they're pretty bulletproof. If you really bang them hard they'll crack and chip like all poly finishes . . . but they're much tougher than nitro.
      +1
      Originally posted by Frankly
      PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
      Originally posted by Diocletian
      Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

You will buff them into a shine in no time, but you can scotchbrite them back to matte pretty easily too.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

In fact, I like the satin more, as I don't stick to it as much. Everyone here is right, though, you will notice some shiny spots over the span of 5-10 years. No biggie, that is easily remedied if that is an issue for you.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That’s great to hear. I’ve been looking at the Yamaha RSP20CR for a while as it seems to check all of my boxes but the top is entirely satin finished which made me concerned about its durability. A dealer I spoke with confirmed it’s poly urethane finished.
            "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace." Sri Chimroy, 1948

Comment

The satin finishes are pretty much the paint without a clear coat or a satin clear coat over the paint. And yes, frequently rubbed areas will gloss over time.

Comment

Working...
              X