NSHGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSHGD

I picked up a used black D'Angelico Premier Double Cut semi-hollowbody this weekend for $250. It is basically a 335 without F-holes and without a pickguard. Like this one https://www.proaudiostar.com/d-angel...-open-box.html

Pro:
    Affordable
    Good tuners
    Good quality pots and very clean 50's style wiring.
    Comfortable C neck shape.
    Excellent fretwork with no sharp edges or fret buzz anywhere
    Good looking binding and finish.

Con:
    Heavy
    Control access panel is too small.
    Control cover should be countersunk and not surface mounted.
    G&B pickups.
    Tune-o-matic could be better quality.
    Capacitor choice is too dark.
    Delamination of the logo.

Verdict:
    Overall this is a very good quality guitar for the money. The biggest negative is there's a bubble under the headstock logo and the plastic has fractured. Newer models have Duncan Designed pickups while this one has G&B pickups. The bridge is 12.6K, while the neck is 7.6K. The majority of G&B pickups I have seen have had ceramic magnets, brass baseplates, and chromed brass covers. However, these have nickel silver baseplates, nickel silver covers, Alnico V magnets, and short pole pieces. Better made than most G&B pickups. The bridge pickup stinks, but the neck actually sounds good.

So far I have changed the neck capacitor from .33 to .10 and the bridge capacitor from .47 to .22. I don't see the logic of having a bridge pickup with that high output and super dark capacitors even if you're playing jazz. Although the access panel is small there's enough wire you can take the controls out and modify them without too much trouble. I have also dressed the nut and added treble bleed caps to both volumes. I currently have a Custom with RCUO A5 in the bridge but that will probably be replaced with RCUO A5 Screamin Demon because the Custom is a bit hot for a 335 style guitar. I had a Demon in a semi-hollowbody 20 years ago and it jangled nicely so I will look for another.

After 30 years of playing guitar, I finally understand why some guitars have a neck pickup! I have disliked the neck pickup in nearly every guitar I have played except for this one. The resonance and depth of the neck pickup position is excellent and usable for a change. I currently have an A4 in the neck and have it reversed without a cover. I will probably replace the stock neck pickup with a SD Jazz though.

I just put a 490T with A4 magnet in the neck and KEEERRRRAAANNNNG! Much better than the G&B pickup with A4. The 490T with A4 is very balanced and very transparent. It's a little boomy but the clarity is far better. I always thought it was a poor pickup but it just ends up it did a wonderful job of showing just how poor Squire's plywood Tele Deluxe bodies sound.

Comment

A4 in the neck position just seems to fit. I put a polished one in the 59n in my Schecter. It is thing of beauty full or split. Plays well in the middle position with the RCUOA5 JB in the bridge.
      Putting one in a 490T should make it sound way more vintage.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        A4 in the neck position just seems to fit. I put a polished one in the 59n in my Schecter. It is thing of beauty full or split. Plays well in the middle position with the RCUOA5 JB in the bridge.
        Putting one in a 490T should make it sound way more vintage.

I was pleasantly pleased with the RCOUA5 in the Custom. I would say that a Custom with RCOUA5 is probably the best balanced Custom I have heard. It doesn't have the scooped, boomy, and ice pick qualities of the C5. It doesn't have the massive bass and midrange of the C8. It doesn't have the honky nasal character of the CC and it doesn't have the fuzzy bass and razor sharp treble of the ceramic Custom. If the C5 is a raw Jalapeno the Custom with RCOUA5 is a rich, smokey chipotle.

Comment

That's why I put one in the JB.

Comment

The pics on the web page are way too dark to see detail, but I love the idea. Sort of like a Lucille in a way, but a lot cheaper. That is quite a discount on that guitar, too.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X