banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you guys done DIY refrets? With cheaper (NOT stewmac) tools and materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call it practice equipment

No, I'm not planning on diving in with zero experience, tearing up the frets from my fullbrand ESP, and winging it or anything

More like practice on some partscaster castoffs and learn stuff. Although the preference is definitely to get some of that sh!t reanimated and gain useful experience, not kill-it-even-deader
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      For the money you want to "save" by buying cheap fretwire and cheap tools, you could have it refretted by someone with experience and competence. Are you sure the guitar doesn't need a simple fret level? (that's even cheaper)
      For what it’s worth, I have a guitar with very small frets, and I took it to a tech to get a refret; they suggested simply levelling them, and though I thought they weren’t large enough to be useable after, I followed their advice (and got the refret).

It was good as new after, no regrets (and a lot cheaper).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      >Matt

http://www.soundcloud.com/mattherman
      http://www.soundcloud.com/stormdoor
      http://www.soundcloud.com/disonova

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
        Can anybody link to Amazon stuff they've personally used and would rate 4* or 5*? Really hard to tell what's good, what's bs, and what's downright fake (like precut branded fretwire on Amazon - real or knockoffs?)

Please link to stuff that you've used that left you satisfied. Specifically fretwire and fret cutters, but also anything else you found inexpensive but useful.

Thx.
        I bought a bunch of Luthier tools off Wish.com for very little money. A number of them look identical to the ones being sold on Stewmac. The only problem was that it took a month for them to arrive from China.

Comment

there is no "guitar"

There's a bunch of reject pile junk leftovers from partscaster builds and a desire for some activity to alleviate the boredom of this plague year that doesn't involve nodding off to netflix etc. or being kept awake by political news
          I stand by my post

These are for tile
          But they are hardened and flush on the end
          compound cutting motion makes it easier to cut stainless frets
          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FSAUX4..._Nu5HFb1YNQJJG

diamond file set cheap
          not necessarily good
          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLH7528..._dx5HFbMMP9A5R

plastic mallet
          To install frets
          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYO4BNP..._Tz5HFb2NAX1ZB

You got leveling and crowning tools right?
          Last edited by ehdwuld; 10-14-2020, 05:27 PM.
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Ive re-fretted several guitars -but only bought raw wire from Stew Mac or similar.

Seems like a lot of work to risk using an unknown -so get some confirmation from others before buying

also, cheap wire is often annealed improperly making them wear much much faster -so I'm not sure the savings is worth unless get some confirmation that speaks to the frets wear over time as well.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

mo-ney
              You get what you pay for. Good tools cost money. I still have and use tools I bought from SM 40 years ago.

StewMac fret wire is not expensive.

Check out Philadelphia Lutherie Tools. ThatÂ’s where I buy pre cut stainless steel fret wire (since I donÂ’t do many SS fret jobs). Some of their tools are cheaper.

Comment

order the Jescar stainless wire off the jescar site

stewmac has a markup
                everyone does

skip that

done
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

One really great tool I learned to use for fret leveling -and I'm sure it will be controversial to some- is aluminum square channel. You can get it at your local hardware store for about 10 bucks per 12 feet. Cut some 3M sandpaper to length and apply Spray 99 to the back to make it stick to the tube. When I check with my micrometer and depth gauge It levels more evenly than any $100 fret leveling file I've ever used. Just make sure that the one you pick is straight with a level from the tool isle! The best part about it is that you can create multiple lengths out of it. One for leveling the whole board and one for spot treatment.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	daf90056-18a3-43d9-87f3-c830d8dd0b00_1000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.5 KB ID:	6022626

Comment

Thumbs up for that ^^

As far as fret removal is concerned, I think I got a pair of pullers and nippers from Philadelphia LT. They weren't dirt cheap but I bought them many years go and they're still a joy to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X