Guitars you regretted selling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars you regretted selling

I'm sure most of us have sold guitars that later on we regret it. What guitars do you wish you had back?

Sold many, but the one I really wish I had the most again is my 2014 Gibson SGJ in Fireburst finish. Bought it from Sweetwater when it came out. Sure the guitar may not be the best SG out there, but to me it was just perfect. The playability and sound was so good. Even bought a few other cheaper SGs few years later to try to capture the magic of that guitar, but none of them even came close... eventually I will pick up another and hope its as good.

Gretsch Tennessee Rose (a.k.a. Tennessean)

Fender HM Strat (the 1980’s version with the Super 3 in the bridge, but I just bought a Jackson, so I’m feeling much better now.)

I kind of wanted my Yamaha SE612 again also. But I didn’t sell that, it just started failing. I only have the neck now. A neck in search of a guitar.

Oddly enough I haven’t sold a lot of guitars. I tend to keep everything I have. I play them until the can’t be played and then they either become parts or wait for repairs.

I actually lost a guitar I built once. Don’t know where I left it. Either a “friends” house or a studio somewhere. My first parts build. Nothing great but it worked and had an interesting sound.

Comment

From the mid to late 1990s I owned a Hamer XT series guitar, with a honeyburst quilt finish. I loved it at first because style and looks wise, it was the closest I could afford to a PRS in Vintage Yellow, which was my dream guitar back then. I sold it in the late 1990s due to financial hardship.

About 5 years ago, I came across a used one that I was able to try out, although I am pretty sure this one was a more recent build. I gave it a try but quickly learned that play-feel wise and ergonomically, it didn't jive with me any longer.

Separately, I owned a 2002 MIM Fender Strat, SSS config, in a really cool Midnight Wine finish, that i really enjoyed playing and had bonded with. I made the mistake of trading it in 2008 towards an Ibanez RG. I could have afforded to buy the RG and keep the Strat but I was being overly frugal, to my detriment. That Ibanez RG never panned out, despite numerous pickup swaps. But it is the RG's tone weaknesses that led me to find out about aftermarket pickups, join this forum, and learn how to swap out pickups. So some good came out of it.
      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 10-14-2020, 10:39 PM.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

All of them, unfortunately ... I've owned .. 12? guitars and basses. Now I only got two, an acoustic dreadnaught, and my new Epi Wildkat.

I really miss my first quality guitar, an Ìbanez RG 270DX in dark blue metallic. Powersound pickups, the bridge was really thick and fat, but the neck pu. was just muddy .
        Never liked the neck ( a thin D shape), and never used the floyd rose. (It just got in the way).

Wore out the frets, using Dean Markley Blue Steels (stainless steel) strings.

If I could start my life all over- I'd keep every!! single guitar, stomp box, amp- and pick... :/. even if I was offered a fortune to sell it.

Oh well. Material wealth isn't the most important thing in life. (But a good guitar is nice to have, especially if one is a musician! )

-Erl
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

'59 LP Junior, Ibanez Lee Ritenour, Western Auto Truetone, a couple others.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

A few...probably the one that hurts the most was the Dean Dimebag limited run guitar that was unplayed, signed, etc. A lot of Les Paul's and a few PRS. I get sad thinking about it to this day...
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

the one that stands out is a gibson r6 that was all gold (not just a gold top) and very light, really wish i had that one back

Comment

As much as a Strat guy that I am, the ones I miss the most are Gibsons. An early 90's SG Jr, early 90's LP Studio and a 2008-ish SG Classic. A couple of 80's Kramers I wish I had back too. But, it was all for a reason.

Edit: Forgot to include a Hamer EchoTone. What an incredible semi-hollow. Man, just fantastic to play and the previous owner had a pro setup done on it. I got it for a steal too.
                Last edited by ErikH; 10-15-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I had a Gibson Howard Roberts that was a good guitar, but in my early 20s I sold it to pay for a girlfriend's transmission in her car. She is long gone (thankfully). But even though I might have eventually sold it, I regret doing it for that reason.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I regret selling my 1st guitar. A Framus, that I bought in Germany. It was a terrible guitar . . . but it was my 1st.

Comment

A '56 LP Special, a 50s X350 Guild archtop, a '64 cherry ES335, a really good '68 Goldtop, and my McKerrihan archtop.

Comment

I almost forgot about the Fender Jag Stang I sold. It was the first year of production one I had. Sold it with case in mint condition for $300 back in 2000. The guitar sounded and played terrible but I wish I still had it considering the prices they're going for on Reverb now...

Comment

I don't have any. I do regret not buying this particular guitar while I could 16 years ago: Ibanez AM200. I'm not interested in new version (different headstock).

Comment

Speaking of ones I didn’t buy I wish I had, and I’ve felt this way for years, an EBMM EVH model. I remember playing a couple when they first hit the market and that neck felt amazing and the tone was killer.

Comment

This is a depressing post...

1996 Ibanez RG527R-LTD, which I found after I traded it for a Washburn jazz box that ony 50 were ever made...

2000 BC Rich Walock NJ Neck-Thru series.

Ibanez S670FM ATF, in which I hated the ZR trem, but was gorgeous and had an amazingly confortable 22 fret neck.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X