NGD: Warmoth Regal... Another Singlecut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I am also a huge fan of blue, with my #1 being a blue Music Man, with a blue Strat, and a blue Brian Moore in the stable. Is that blue actually a dye, or is it their transparent finish?
    I am not sure. I ordered their transparent blue satin finish, so my assumption is that is what it is. If they use a dye to achieve the blue, it would not bother me at all because it looks very good.

Blue gear is definitely something I will always love!
    Soundcloud

Comment

Almost all dyes aren't impervious to degradation due to light. It's the finish on top of it that has to prevent it from discoloring because the finish on top should have the UV filters.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        Almost all dyes aren't impervious to degradation due to light. It's the finish on top of it that has to prevent it from discoloring because the finish on top should have the UV filters.
        Interesting, I did not know this.
        Soundcloud

Comment

I really dig it! I bet it sounds amazing.
          MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
            I really dig it! I bet it sounds amazing.
            Thanks dude! I dig it too... but this guitar is truly special!
            Soundcloud

Comment

I used to love using hyperbole to prop my preferences up on a high horse. Over the years, I have been humbled many times over. What I do want to say after about a month of this guitar is it is balanced. It may be the most balanced LP-styled guitar I have ever played in my own hands, personally. It is very comfortable to play. Very lightweight.

As far as tone goes, this one nails it. Very versatile. I have always been fascinated with mixing different woods. Maybe that makes me a tonewood nut, but this combo of a chambered swamp ash body with an all Indian rosewood neck featuring the fat 59 roundback LP profile sounds really good! It has leapfrogged my solid swamp ash/roasted maple neck Regal as my new number 1.

The WLH set only enhances the experience. This one is special.
              Soundcloud

Comment

I mean, I can't play like JP, but this tone is legendary... this is a serious combo. Transcendent.
                Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post
                  I used to love using hyperbole to prop my preferences up on a high horse. Over the years, I have been humbled many times over. What I do want to say after about a month of this guitar is it is balanced. It may be the most balanced LP-styled guitar I have ever played in my own hands, personally. It is very comfortable to play. Very lightweight.

As far as tone goes, this one nails it. Very versatile. I have always been fascinated with mixing different woods. Maybe that makes me a tonewood nut, but this combo of a chambered swamp ash body with an all Indian rosewood neck featuring the fat 59 roundback LP profile sounds really good! It has leapfrogged my solid swamp ash/roasted maple neck Regal as my new number 1.

The WLH set only enhances the experience. This one is special.
                  Can you share what the total cost of this guitar was?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Can you share what the total cost of this guitar was?
                    Sure. $1537 from Warmoth. An extra $200 from SD for the WLH. Then, this time, $400 from a luthier for fret leveling and assembly.

Worth it? Hell yes. I put this up against any non-CS Gibby LP.
                    Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks! That might help others (and me) in deciding if Warmoth is the right way to go, especially when building a guitar of your dreams.

Comment

Thanks! That might help others (and me) in deciding if Warmoth is the right way to go, especially when building a guitar of your dreams.
                        You're welcome
                        Soundcloud

Comment

This guitar sounds great clean but it begs to get dirty. Bondage is okay, just make it moan. Just like any guitar with WLH, these pickups thrive when driving pure sex appeal. Hop on or strap up, just get ready to ride...
                          Soundcloud

Comment

I am not sure. I ordered their transparent blue satin finish, so my assumption is that is what it is. If they use a dye to achieve the blue, it would not bother me at all because it looks very good.
                            It's not a dye – they clearly denote dye finishes and only use dyes on maple. If you're ever unsure if one of their finishes uses dyes or not, another way you can tell they've used dye is if there is a slight 'burst' on the edges; they burst every dye finish, except Washed Blue and Yellow, with a darker colour unless you specifically pay extra for their 'clean line' option.
                            They actually do avoid using dyes as much as possible, likely because if there are any mistakes it is much harder (and more expensive) for them to fix, as opposed to simple transparent paints which can be easily chemically stripped without leaving any marks.
                            All their transparent finishes are a layered process of polyester sanding sealer, then polyurethane for colour. Gloss finishes get a polyurethane clear coat; they're being very vague about what they're using for the clear coat on satin finishes (after a previous attempt by them resulted in many flawed finishes) but it appears to be a tougher 2K lacquer, the same stuff used on expensive custom sports cars. It's actually a very cheap finishing material, but it's super tough and doesn't discolour.

​​​​​​
                            Maybe that makes me a tonewood nut, but this combo of a chambered swamp ash body with an all Indian rosewood neck featuring the fat 59 roundback LP profile sounds really good!
                            I've got a similar guitar, 1"-thick all-rosewood 24.75" neck on a chambered alder carved Tele body with an LP electronics and hardware configuration (Warmoth body, Musikraft neck), and yeah, it sounds great. That neck of mine has been on several bodies now and it always goes well with chambered brighter woods (or solid mellow woods, like basswood). The lack of treble you get with rosewood balances the bright body wood, but the sharper pick attack from having a really dense and big neck balances out the dulled response you'd otherwise have with chambering. I believe this is why Carlos Santana likes all-rosewood necks on his lighter-bodies guitars.

I do wish Gibson would bring back their ash LPs, or at least make an Epiphone version. Their last run had maple & rosewood necks, so the whole thing was a bit icepicky, but if they would make a new run with the same chambered ash bodies but mahogany & rosewood necks, they'd be on to a real winner, I think. I have been tempted to get Warmoth to knock me up one, but they won't do it without binding and with the huge shipping and import fees I have to pay (twice over, since I get my necks from other companies), it's hard to justify.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
                              It's not a dye – they clearly denote dye finishes and only use dyes on maple. If you're ever unsure if one of their finishes uses dyes or not, another way you can tell they've used dye is if there is a slight 'burst' on the edges; they burst every dye finish, except Washed Blue and Yellow, with a darker colour unless you specifically pay extra for their 'clean line' option.
                              They actually do avoid using dyes as much as possible, likely because if there are any mistakes it is much harder (and more expensive) for them to fix, as opposed to simple transparent paints which can be easily chemically stripped without leaving any marks.
                              All their transparent finishes are a layered process of polyester sanding sealer, then polyurethane for colour. Gloss finishes get a polyurethane clear coat; they're being very vague about what they're using for the clear coat on satin finishes (after a previous attempt by them resulted in many flawed finishes) but it appears to be a tougher 2K lacquer, the same stuff used on expensive custom sports cars. It's actually a very cheap finishing material, but it's super tough and doesn't discolour.

​​​​​​I've got a similar guitar, 1"-thick all-rosewood 24.75" neck on a chambered alder carved Tele body with an LP electronics and hardware configuration (Warmoth body, Musikraft neck), and yeah, it sounds great. That neck of mine has been on several bodies now and it always goes well with chambered brighter woods (or solid mellow woods, like basswood). The lack of treble you get with rosewood balances the bright body wood, but the sharper pick attack from having a really dense and big neck balances out the dulled response you'd otherwise have with chambering. I believe this is why Carlos Santana likes all-rosewood necks on his lighter-bodies guitars.

I do wish Gibson would bring back their ash LPs, or at least make an Epiphone version. Their last run had maple & rosewood necks, so the whole thing was a bit icepicky, but if they would make a new run with the same chambered ash bodies but mahogany & rosewood necks, they'd be on to a real winner, I think. I have been tempted to get Warmoth to knock me up one, but they won't do it without binding and with the huge shipping and import fees I have to pay (twice over, since I get my necks from other companies), it's hard to justify.
                              Yes.
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Interesting about the dye- I never noticed, but yeah, they only do it on maple. I was looking at a transparent red korina body, and they are all painted, not dyed. I am now trying to decide if I want the back clear or red all the way around. I kinda think the clear back is more visually interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X