NGD: Warmoth Regal... Another Singlecut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Interesting about the dye- I never noticed, but yeah, they only do it on maple. I was looking at a transparent red korina body, and they are all painted, not dyed. I am now trying to decide if I want the back clear or red all the way around. I kinda think the clear back is more visually interesting.
    I kinda want a clear-back now....
    Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post

I kinda want a clear-back now....
      Well, my thing is that I need to sell a few things before my order goes in, so I have time to sit with these decisions. While I love the idea of a transparent satin red over black korina, I love that wood's natural color. But a whole guitar out of that looks a little 70s furniture to me.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you want a transparent colour top with a clear back on a wood other than maple then you need to call the order in and order that with binding; it's an 'off-menu' extra and not part of the online ordering form, nor do they do it without binding. (At least that's what they told me last time I asked for a transparent purple top + clear back.) If you order a transparent finish on a solid & unbound body it will always cover the entire body. A dye top on a maple laminate is the only way to get a coloured top and clear back as a standard combination.
        Warmoth used to (many years ago) be less strict about combining top & back finishes but about ten years ago they started rejecting nearly all custom finish requests since they're churning out bodies at a much faster rate. It's always worth phoning them (they tend to be a bit more dismissive via e-mail) to check, but the general rule is if it's not on their website they ain't gonna bother. Especially at this time of year, which is always their busiest. (And 2020 has been extra busy for them overall and they've still got a massive backlog.)

Comment

Love the look of the neck on this one
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
            If you want a transparent colour top with a clear back on a wood other than maple then you need to call the order in and order that with binding; it's an 'off-menu' extra and not part of the online ordering form, nor do they do it without binding. (At least that's what they told me last time I asked for a transparent purple top + clear back.) If you order a transparent finish on a solid & unbound body it will always cover the entire body. A dye top on a maple laminate is the only way to get a coloured top and clear back as a standard combination.
            Warmoth used to (many years ago) be less strict about combining top & back finishes but about ten years ago they started rejecting nearly all custom finish requests since they're churning out bodies at a much faster rate. It's always worth phoning them (they tend to be a bit more dismissive via e-mail) to check, but the general rule is if it's not on their website they ain't gonna bother. Especially at this time of year, which is always their busiest. (And 2020 has been extra busy for them overall and they've still got a massive backlog.)
            Yeah, I would figure that I would need binding to connect the top and back. I am not sure yet what that would look like: transparent red top over black korina, with clear black korina back. It might be too much visually. I have to look up similar examples to see what it would be. Painted back or not, it would get binding to separate the top and back. I am ok with that (black binding would look great).

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
              Love the look of the neck on this one
              I do too!
              Soundcloud

Comment

I think bindings are now required on Regal bodies, but I could be wrong.
                Soundcloud

Comment

You might be able to get away with the thinner laminate wood line, or even the 'naked wood' binding. But they need a nice way to connect the top to the back.

Comment

All those restrictions... I'm so glad the only restrictions I know, are my own skills. If I can actually make it, I'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Aces View Post
                      I think bindings are now required on Regal bodies, but I could be wrong.
                      If you only order via their website, yes, binding is mandatory on every carved top body, in order to cover the edges of the top laminate.
                      If you call in your order and get an all-over solid finish then they'll do it without binding, though they won't make it any cheaper than if you have binding.
                      A solid carved top Tele can also be ordered without a laminate top at all, but again you have to call in your order to get that. Hollow carved Teles always have a laminate.

You can also wait for something to come up in their in-stock showcase; they sometimes stick unbound carved bodies on there, usually with a solid finish already. I got a Mooncaster (their slightly smaller version of a Starcaster) off there which has no additional laminate or binding, just a solid black finish all-over. So never rule out the possibility that an unbound Regal or other body might show up at any time.

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                      All those restrictions... I'm so glad the only restrictions I know, are my own skills. If I can actually make it, I'll do it.
                      I remember you on their boards, having quite a collection of Warmoth LPs. I expect a lot of the bodies you have/had wouldn't be made by them now. They've cut down their options quite significantly. I'm constantly in touch with them about bringing back some of the older options—a bunch of local players don't know anything about gear and get me to sort it all out for them—and it's been really striking over the last few years how many things we used to order regularly from them they'll either no longer do, or only do with a significantly increased price. I suppose that's just what they have to do to keep up with production.
                      But yeah, I'm the same, I do as much as I can myself now. I still like getting the basic construction done by Warmoth 'cause there's nothing interesting about drilling bridges and neck pockets, but controls, binding, contouring and finishes I do myself now.

Comment

I understand cutting down options as they grow. It is hard to keep on top of all of those requests. They need an efficient system for ordering that offers many things but not so many.

Comment

Well, Warmoth makes a fine guitar no matter what. This sh!t is for real...
                          Soundcloud

Comment

There are only a few companies that do what they do. I think it is unique among guitar companies. They are going to come out with a few models of actual finished guitars soon. I've only seen teaser pics, but those look great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              There are only a few companies that do what they do. I think it is unique among guitar companies. They are going to come out with a few models of actual finished guitars soon. I've only seen teaser pics, but those look great.
                              I can't wait to see some of them!
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Flibble View Post
                                If you only order via their website, yes, binding is mandatory on every carved top body, in order to cover the edges of the top laminate.
                                If you call in your order and get an all-over solid finish then they'll do it without binding, though they won't make it any cheaper than if you have binding.
                                A solid carved top Tele can also be ordered without a laminate top at all, but again you have to call in your order to get that. Hollow carved Teles always have a laminate.

You can also wait for something to come up in their in-stock showcase; they sometimes stick unbound carved bodies on there, usually with a solid finish already. I got a Mooncaster (their slightly smaller version of a Starcaster) off there which has no additional laminate or binding, just a solid black finish all-over. So never rule out the possibility that an unbound Regal or other body might show up at any time.

I remember you on their boards, having quite a collection of Warmoth LPs. I expect a lot of the bodies you have/had wouldn't be made by them now. They've cut down their options quite significantly. I'm constantly in touch with them about bringing back some of the older options—a bunch of local players don't know anything about gear and get me to sort it all out for them—and it's been really striking over the last few years how many things we used to order regularly from them they'll either no longer do, or only do with a significantly increased price. I suppose that's just what they have to do to keep up with production.
                                But yeah, I'm the same, I do as much as I can myself now. I still like getting the basic construction done by Warmoth 'cause there's nothing interesting about drilling bridges and neck pockets, but controls, binding, contouring and finishes I do myself now.
                                Do you have any other examples of things they used to do but no longer do?

Anything less “Gibson” about the tone being bolt-on rather than set neck? Assuming mahogany/maple, 24.75”, dual HB, etc.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X