banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like your guitars heavy or light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like your guitars heavy or light?

Put my ‘83 Kramer Pacer Deluxe with Center Joined Maple Body and ‘16 Warmoth Hellacaster with one piece Northern Ash Body on a digital scale as they’re both heavy guitars and I’ve been curious about the weight for some time. I’ve jokingly referred to the Warmoth as my “Ten Pound Tele”....well...turns out it wasn’t a joke...10 lb 9.6 oz. The Pacer Deluxe wasn’t far off at a dead even 10 lbs.

Where do your guitars fall weight wise and what is your preference...heavy as a Chevy or light as a feather?
    Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 10-18-2020, 10:28 AM.
    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
    1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
    1988 Kramer Nightswan
    1989 Charvel Sambora
    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
    Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
    Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

I'm not a fussy guy. Heavy/ light, thick/thin neck, scale lengths. If it's mechanically sound I like it.

Comment

Max 8.5 lbs for me. Or slightly below 4 kg. The lighter the better. I've sold my heavy guitars.

Comment

There’s something about super light guitars that feels cheap to me, kind of like a bottom of the barrel import guitar. After that point I used to think of heavier guitars as “more substantial” but now that I’ve played many more I’m pretty much good with anything. If I ever get this next build off the ground, I’ll probably spec an ultralight body to offset the hardware, specifically the Floyd Rose.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

My lp is 10.2 and my strats are between 8.5 and 9.5. Like the weight of the strats as well as the ergonomics.

Comment

I like playing light guitars, but love the sound of heavy guitars. Sometimes, with a bit of wiring and some hardware changes, I can get a light guitar to sound like a heavy guitar, then it's ideal.

Comment

I've owned and am happy to play both. I use a much wider strap with the heavy ones though.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Light. Anything heavier than 9lbs and I'm not going to be comfortable. My Les Paul is 9lbs, Kramer Baretta is 8lbs and the rest are 7.5lbs or lighter. I use a 2.5" strap with the Les Paul and it does make it much more comfortable.

Comment

Don't really matter all that much but if I had my choice it would be 7 to 8lbs. Depends on the guitar. Anything over 8 usually requires a wider padded strap for me.

Comment

Maybe I’ve gotten used to my guitar in particular but these days I feel a heavier guitar suits me best for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As light as possible. Just over 6lbs is my current favorite. Anything heavier, I just won't play.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Doesn't matter I am chasing tone. If an anvil with a neck on it got the sound I wanted I would strap it on. That being said I play anything from Parkers to Les Pauls.

Comment

Mine vary by quite a bit. I've always felt that a light guitars need less volume to come alive when playing amplified.
                          That said, some of my heavier guitars sound great.

These days I can't play anything much over 9½ lbs comfortably (when standing) for more than a couple of songs.

I have six that are under 7 lbs: a Parker Fly, a Mockingbird, a Les Paul Special, a korina Moderne, an Esquire, and a korina McCarty.
                          And a few under 7½: an Ibanez PJ bass, a Tyler Studio Custom, a bubinga Showmaster, two Teles, two Strats, a DGT and a Starla.

My favorite Les Paul is 8¼ lbs, but all my Standards & Customs fall between 7¾ and 9½, except for an OrvileByGibson that's nearly ten.
                          I'm thinking about setting that one up with heavier strings as a dedicated slide axe, for a few songs at a time.

My heaviest is a '72 Ibanez lawsuit Jazz Bass that tips the scales at 12 lbs even. It's a tone monster but I don't play it much anymore.
                          Back in the 80s & 90s doing gigs as a hired gun I could play it for a whole show.
                          Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 10-20-2020, 12:59 PM. Reason: Edited to prove that yes, I can actually count - when I put my mind to it.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The lighter, the better these days. My back wins that argument 10 times out of 10.
                            Soundcloud

Comment

More important than weight to me (which is pretty important), is balance. I hate unbalanced instruments.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X