banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like your guitars heavy or light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorites are the lighter ones
    they are just the ones that get picked up the most

My heaviest one is my Dean Shire at 9.5 lbs
    It also is the only true semihollow and has the piezo bridge

I love the sound I get with that one
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My view on this is that whatever gets you playing is a good thing.

I didn't care until I live gigged a 12 lb Jazz Bass and was in pain after every rehearsal and show. So I got a 7.5 lb model instead and lo and behold, they sounded pretty darn similar.

Then I picked up a used 6.5 lb Gibson SG from Guitar Center this year. Yes, GC typically stinks, but this guitar was the warmest, most toneful piece of wood I'd ever played, so it came home with me. I am now spoiled and chasing this lightweight PRS Santana SE around my music room. It's not that I mind playing heavier guitars, but the lighter an instrument, the fewer barriers to me picking it up and playing these days. Acoustic guitars are like, 2-3 lbs, so even a jump to an 8 lb electric feels like a big jump. I don't care about the weight when playing live, but practicing at home I do notice it and have been preferring the light weight. Yes, my two light electric guitars and my lightweight bass guitar feel a little toy-like, but better to play a toy than to not play a toneful anvil.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Lighter for me, but a guitar being heavier (10lbs/~4.5kg and heavier) on it's own won't necessarily keep me from playing it either. My two favorites are light and medium weight respectively; the lighter one is a semi-hollow PRS and the other is a chambered Warmoth Strat-like.

Comment

Light weight, much like good ergonomics, is preferred... but can be ignored for the right sound or feel or a good deal on something well-made
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            Light weight, much like good ergonomics, is preferred... but can be ignored for the right sound or feel or a good deal on something well-made
            Amen to that.
            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
            1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
            1988 Kramer Nightswan
            1989 Charvel Sambora
            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
            Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
            Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Something that is well-balanced can make up for being a little heavier than I like.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Most of my best sounding guitars are light examples of their type. I have had heavier examples of the same guitars, and most did not sound as good to my ears.

Comment

Now that I'm a little older, (little?), I like light. I think it's one of the reasons that my Peavey Rockmaster, while being one of my cheapest, is also one of my favorites. One bridge humbucker . . . no weight.

Comment

As long as it balances, light is cool. However, my Warwick is super heavy, has a hint of dive, but plays and sounds killer.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

All things considered, lighter guitars tend to sound better than heavier ones. There are exceptions, but this is, in my experience, the rule

Light guitars are also more comfortable to carry or put on your leg.

Consequently light guitars are, for me, more fun to play.

Having said that, the guitar has to be a solid instrument regardless of weight for me to actually want to play it.
                      Originally posted by Myaccount876
                      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

I never noticed a sonic blanket difference between weights. Some light guitars sound good, some heavy ones do...but if it is heavy, I will find myself playing it less, even if it sounds great. For some reason, that isn't enough to keep me picking it up.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Depends on the guitar. I prefer strat style guitars to be light. I prefer Les Pauls to have some weight. Somewhere in the eight to ten pound area. I find they have a more focused mid range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I prefer them on the lighter side. But if it's a really cool guitar, I can deal with a heavy one.

Comment

I don't care about the weight at all. I am after feel, tone, resonance, all the things I look for in what I call a good guitar and that I like. It it weighs 4 pounds or 12 pounds I don't care. I am even becoming more flexible on color if the guitar is everything I am wanting.
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                I never noticed a sonic blanket difference between weights. Some light guitars sound good, some heavy ones do...but if it is heavy, I will find myself playing it less, even if it sounds great. For some reason, that isn't enough to keep me picking it up.
                                Same here. If it's over 8 lbs I don't end up playing it. I didn't even know what my guitars weighed until last year. Turns out they're all close to 7.6 lbs. Now when I shop (especially online) that's the weight I aim for. I've got a couple in the 6.5 lbs range and I like those too but I don't go out of my way to find super light stuff. 7.6ish feels like home.
                                -
                                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X