No announcement yet.

Nuts for nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all. Glad I'm not nuts for thinking this nut is nuts.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I went down this road a couple (few) years back when I went on a crazy guitar building phase. I had moved away from locking tremolos and was obsessed with learning how to maximize tuning stability with non-locking trems. I played with the welding tip cleaners with limited success and finally broke down and bought a set of nice nut files from Stew Mac. Even with high quality files, it is possible - easy - to ruin a nut blank. That one stroke too many and the string is riding on the first fret, or too steep a ramp off the back of the nut and you get vibration or ‘pinging’ between the nut and tuning post when playing the open string. But I really had more fun than frustration teaching myself how to do it right. (Nut blanks aren’t horribly expensive.) I totally agree that if you do not plan on doing quite a bit of this, it really doesn’t pay to buy a full set of files. But my nearest trusted repairman is about 40 miles away and backlogged by about 14 days. So impatience got the better of me. Similar story with my soldering skills. Building guitars from used necks and bodies on Reverb and eBay has been a really enjoyable hobby. Now I need to start letting some of my earlier builds go to slap a few more together!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post
        I went down this road a couple (few) years back when I went on a crazy guitar building phase. I had moved away from locking tremolos and was obsessed with learning how to maximize tuning stability with non-locking trems. I played with the welding tip cleaners with limited success and finally broke down and bought a set of nice nut files from Stew Mac. Even with high quality files, it is possible - easy - to ruin a nut blank. That one stroke too many and the string is riding on the first fret, or too steep a ramp off the back of the nut and you get vibration or ‘pinging’ between the nut and tuning post when playing the open string. But I really had more fun than frustration teaching myself how to do it right. (Nut blanks aren’t horribly expensive.) I totally agree that if you do not plan on doing quite a bit of this, it really doesn’t pay to buy a full set of files. But my nearest trusted repairman is about 40 miles away and backlogged by about 14 days. So impatience got the better of me. Similar story with my soldering skills. Building guitars from used necks and bodies on Reverb and eBay has been a really enjoyable hobby. Now I need to start letting some of my earlier builds go to slap a few more together!!!
        Ya know I think a set of feeler gauges laid against the nut , and between the first fret and the nut
        may prevent the too deep scenario

As far as angle too sharply down towards the tuner
        I am not sure about that

Again the feeler gauges may help there as well

I have thought about getting an inexpensive Chinese set off Amazon

Still debating that
        For the practice thing it may be just fine
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Super glue and baking soda works wonders for filling slots that are too deep.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you recut your own, no need to spend ANY money on nut blanks.

Corian (= synthetic countertop samples from Home Depot etc.) is a popular nut material. And free samples are free and will make more nuts than you'll ever do in a lifetime

So feel free to learn, experiment, and screw up however many
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I put an American core PRS nut on this guitar and it seems to fit great and fix many of the problems with buzzing, intonation is better, etc. $26 shipped for two: https://us.prsaccessories.com/
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                I put an American core PRS nut on this guitar and it seems to fit great and fix many of the problems with buzzing, intonation is better, etc. $26 shipped for two: https://us.prsaccessories.com/
                There
                do that
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X