PRS Pattern "Regular" Neck Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Pattern "Regular" Neck Profile

Can anyone tell me about the pattern "regular" neck profile?

Fairly certain the handful of PRS guitars I have owned all had the "Pattern Thin" or "Wide Thin" profiles. How does the "Regular" compare? Is it similar to any other profile from a popular manufacturer?

Thanks!

"The new "Pattern Regular" neck shape is similar to the traditional PRS regular neck found on guitars made in the late 80’s at PRS’s former Virginia Avenue location."

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Well, that certainly says a lot.....LOL

Comment

Similar to the Wide Fat. The Private Stock "pattern" neck I have is a little rounder in the back and fuller fretboard to midpoint on neck back (hope that makes sense). I have numerous other PRS guitars and it seems to be the fullest of them all but not by much. It isn't a huge variance from the Wide Fat. Since mine is a Private Stock it may be ever so slightly different than the other models. My overall nut width is very very slightly wider on this particular guitar as well in comparison to all my other PRS guitars. I have a west street limited that has a similar rounded feel like the pattern. Again, not much of a departure from the Wide Fat. My guess would be if you didn't know any better or were playing a different guitar and went right to the PRS you probably wouldn't tell the difference between the Regular and Wide Fat. Hope that helps. If you have more specific questions, please ask and I will do my best to help and answer.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

In my limited experience, PRS' neck profiles do not vary terribly. Nothing like going from a Fender to a Gibson. I have a Wide Thin and a Wide Fat currently, and the difference is like... 1.6? in thickness. I've never owned a Regular or Pattern necked guitar to extensively compare, but I played a few in shops recently and they felt familiar.

Here are some good details straight from the horse on all kinds of measurements for PRS necks: https://prsguitars.com/index.php/sup.../neck_profiles

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Man, I personally dislike the Wide Fat so much. So round and thick with a round fretboard. Literally feels like a baseball bat.

Comment

Patter regular is more a C profile and slightly thicker than a standard non 1960 Les Paul Profile. Not a bad neck. I personally don't care for any of the PRS profiles but the Wide thin. Really like my 08 Custom 24 core with the Wide Thin.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'm not too well versed in American PRS necks. I have some experience with the SE liine. An SE custom 22 or 24 has the "wide thin" and I don't care for the feel of those. It's got a bit more depth and a rounder radius than a 90's era Ibanez Wizard neck - but not much. To my grip, that's the closest approximation. I have a Zach Myers with the "wide-fat" neck, and to my feel, it's not a world away from a newer Gibson neck. Somewhere in between the 60's and 50's profiles Gibson offers.

Comment

I can't speak to measurements in millimeters, but I'm another who doesn't feel a radical variety among the various PRS necks.
                  To me the differences between them seem pretty subtle - nothing very fat or very thin.

I've loved their standard profile ever since '87 and I'd call it a medium C - the thickness and shape feel perfect in my hand.
                  I also have two in the Wide Fat profile. Still very comfy for me; they aren't super wide and I wouldn't call them chunky.

Not sure I've ever played a Wide Thin.

I did have an SE Cust24 for a couple of years and that wasn't what I'd call a thin neck. Not very much like a Wizard IMO.
                  However, mine was a 30th Anniversary model and might not have had a typical SE Cust24 neck.

Just to be clear, I have very thin necks on a few guitars, and I find them uncomfortable after playing a while.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

OP: I found this thread on the PRS guitar forum. It may have some information that helps you. https://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...regular.45339/
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Here’s a visual representation of them:

I have a few of the pattern regular necks, albeit on a slightly longer 25.25” scale. They feel to me similar to some of the fender necks. I also have a pattern thin and a few pattern vintage and they all feel sort of close. None of them are wizard thin or very flat but none of them are 50’s Gibson baseball bats either. Best thing you can do is try one out that has the profile you are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                        Here’s a visual representation of them:

I have a few of the pattern regular necks, albeit on a slightly longer 25.25” scale. They feel to me similar to some of the fender necks. I also have a pattern thin and a few pattern vintage and they all feel sort of close. None of them are wizard thin or very flat but none of them are 50’s Gibson baseball bats either. Best thing you can do is try one out that has the profile you are interested in.
                        I never knew what the hell they were talking about. The picture explains it all. Thanks for posting it!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I always thought the Wide Fat in my old PRS SE had a very subtle V shape to it, and that pic almost confirms it. Man, I hated that neck.

The Wide Thin has none of that. It's definitely not flat or thin like the Wizard in my RG570, but it's thinner and faster than the Thin U in my LTD. A little more C-scaped too.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-27-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I do not have large hands. Pattern Regular feels really big to me. I definitely prefer Pattern Thin.
                            Originally posted by Frankly
                            PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
                            Originally posted by Diocletian
                            Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Thank you guys! On a whim, I ended up grabbing an S2 Singlecut with the "Pattern Regular" profile. The "Regular" definitely feels a tiny bit larger/rounder than the "Thin". That said, it doesn't feel "huge" at all, just slightly fuller throughout, sort of like my favorite Jackson Rhoads neck if it snuck in an extra Twinkie every once in a while.

One thing that annoys me a little, especially for a "USA" model...it's spec'd with a 1/32" narrower nut than the "Pattern Thin" profile, yet the width of the actual fretboard at the nut is still 1-11/16" (1.695" measured).

PRS used a 1-21/32" (1.660" measured) nut, presumably to give it a narrower feel, but the result is that the sides of the nut aren't entirely flush with the sides of the neck. I thought I was crazy, but it seems others on the internet have noticed this, as well.

So, the "Pattern Regular" and "Pattern Thin" profiles are both based on a 1-11/16" nut width, regardless of what PRS marketing states. I'm not complaining too heavily, though, because it seems to combine the best of a slightly narrower string spacing with the fuller in-hand feel of a true 1-11/16" profile. That said, they could easily have had the nuts made slightly wider for a better fit and finish without changing the string spacing from that of the narrower nut. Guess PRS is getting cheap in their old age, LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X