PRS Pattern "Regular" Neck Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

One thing that annoys me a little, especially for a "USA" model...it's spec'd with a 1/32" narrower nut than the "Pattern Thin" profile, yet the width of the actual fretboard at the nut is still 1-11/16" (1.695" measured).

PRS used a 1-21/32" (1.660" measured) nut, presumably to give it a narrower feel, but the result is that the sides of the nut aren't entirely flush with the sides of the neck. I thought I was crazy, but it seems others on the internet have noticed this, as well.

So, the "Pattern Regular" and "Pattern Thin" profiles are both based on a 1-11/16" nut width, regardless of what PRS marketing states. I'm not complaining too heavily, though, because it seems to combine the best of a slightly narrower string spacing with the fuller in-hand feel of a true 1-11/16" profile. That said, they could easily have had the nuts made slightly wider for a better fit and finish without changing the string spacing from that of the narrower nut. Guess PRS is getting cheap in their old age, LOL!
    Interesting. You've piqued my curiosity. I have and S2 and a CE...time to grab my calipers.
    Originally posted by Frankly
    PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
    Originally posted by Diocletian
    Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post

Interesting. You've piqued my curiosity. I have and S2 and a CE...time to grab my calipers.
      Nice! Which S2 do you have?

Comment

I have a 2016 S2 Singlecut with the pattern regular neck and a Bernie with the wide fat neck. The necks are nothing like one another. The wide fat is much chunkier. I like them both.

Comment

Thank you guys! On a whim, I ended up grabbing an S2 Singlecut with the "Pattern Regular" profile. The "Regular" definitely feels a tiny bit larger/rounder than the "Thin". That said, it doesn't feel "huge" at all, just slightly fuller throughout, sort of like my favorite Jackson Rhoads neck if it snuck in an extra Twinkie every once in a while.

One thing that annoys me a little, especially for a "USA" model...it's spec'd with a 1/32" narrower nut than the "Pattern Thin" profile, yet the width of the actual fretboard at the nut is still 1-11/16" (1.695" measured).

PRS used a 1-21/32" (1.660" measured) nut, presumably to give it a narrower feel, but the result is that the sides of the nut aren't entirely flush with the sides of the neck. I thought I was crazy, but it seems others on the internet have noticed this, as well.

So, the "Pattern Regular" and "Pattern Thin" profiles are both based on a 1-11/16" nut width, regardless of what PRS marketing states. I'm not complaining too heavily, though, because it seems to combine the best of a slightly narrower string spacing with the fuller in-hand feel of a true 1-11/16" profile. That said, they could easily have had the nuts made slightly wider for a better fit and finish without changing the string spacing from that of the narrower nut. Guess PRS is getting cheap in their old age, LOL!
          To me, that is just tacky. No reason for the fit and finish to be off. I had this problem on one of my private stocks and could feel it when playing and it bugged the hell out of me. I went round and round with PRS on this issue and got nowhere. It cured me from ever buying a new PRS. You can get a Graph Tech nut (Model 6143) and it will sort it out. In my case, I thought it was completely unacceptable for a private stock build. After going 12 rounds with PRS I sent the guitar back and they replaced the nut and it was such a half A$$ed job and so bulky on the top edges, shaping and height that I had to fix it myself. Sorry....I got triggered and my rant came out.

Just get the 6143 nut and it will help a great deal.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Thanks for the note about the GraphTech nut. I may have to look into it.

Currently trying to decide if I will keep the guitar or not. I bought it on a whim, despite trying to downsize my collection. I may hold onto it for a bit and see. Plays great, but not sure if I'm sold on the neck profile.

Comment

Thanks for the note about the GraphTech nut. I may have to look into it.

Currently trying to decide if I will keep the guitar or not. I bought it on a whim, despite trying to downsize my collection. I may hold onto it for a bit and see. Plays great, but not sure if I'm sold on the neck profile.
              The typical USA PRS nut (black nut) that comes standard on The Majority of PRS guitars is a 6643. They say it is a 43mm nut but it is not. The 6143 is slightly wider on the edges and not quite as thick (front to back). Both are flat bottomed etc. so make sure you not only check right to left (width) but also the front to back thickness as well.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

On a whim, I picked up an Indonesian-made PRS SE Custom 24 when I saw a shop online was offering it in a color I couldn't refuse...Eriza Verde (aka: lime green).

It has a "Wide Thin" neck profile and it's perfect. Feels more refined to me than the "Pattern Regular" profile and it's not overly thin, despite the description. Reminds me a LOT of the "Pattern Thin" I used to own, which makes sense.

I'm actually preferring the SE over the S2 in general! It's equally well built, more resonant, a bit lighter on the strap and really plays great! Might become my #3 with some minor mods (locking tuners, etc)

Comment

Nice! Which S2 do you have?
                  I have a satin Walnut singlecut.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	S2.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	6030046
                  Originally posted by Frankly
                  PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
                  Originally posted by Diocletian
                  Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

On a whim, I picked up an Indonesian-made PRS SE Custom 24 when I saw a shop online was offering it in a color I couldn't refuse...Eriza Verde (aka: lime green).

It has a "Wide Thin" neck profile and it's perfect. Feels more refined to me than the "Pattern Regular" profile and it's not overly thin, despite the description. Reminds me a LOT of the "Pattern Thin" I used to own, which makes sense.

I'm actually preferring the SE over the S2 in general! It's equally well built, more resonant, a bit lighter on the strap and really plays great! Might become my #3 with some minor mods (locking tuners, etc)
                    Congrats! Could we get a pic? That Eriza Verde color sounds intriguing.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The pics are in his NGD thread:
                      As I mentioned in my other thread about PRS neck profiles, I recently picked up a Custom 24 SE model on a whim after coming across a shop online that did an exclusive run in my absolute favorite finish..."Eriza Verde" (aka: Trans Lime Green)! I have to say that this guitar is excellent in almost every way. Fit,

Comment

Working...
                      X