I don't understand my Gibson SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand my Gibson SG

Coming from 18 years in Fender land, I am having an interesting time getting to know this Gibson SG that I picked up earlier this year. I'd never been inspired by Gibsons, but the thing just oozed tone and woody vibes, I was looking for something different, plus the price was right so I brought it home. I've been plinking on it for several months now and after a couple of jam sessions with others, I'm as confused by this guitar as ever. It is all mahogany with 57 Classics.

Cleans - Fat. Woody. Marvelous sound. Warm, even the bridge pickup. Needing to add treble at the amp. Almost lacks dynamic response to picking attack - all notes kind of come out the same. Middle position seems to make the tone thinner and more clear, which is a nice contrast to the neck or bridge by themselves. Gorgeous bedroom tone, live it feels a little clumsy. Less to "explore" because my picking dynamics don't come across, but probably sounds better and more consistent to the listener.

High gain - Oh my. This is the money. The compressed nature makes high gain riffage real smooth and slick sounding. Solos sound like I know what I'm doing. Classic, almost radio-ready sound. I almost don't know what to do with a classic sound after so many years of chasing my own sound. I can't seem to get any extra snarl by picking harder. Would probably sound nice on a recording.

Hardware - I don't know what to do with 2 volumes and 2 tones. Running volume at 50% and below seems to open up the sound and let it breathe somewhat. 2 tone knobs feels crazy when the whole guitar is so warm. Frets are super tall even after I crowned them. Tempted to take off more fret height so its closer to what I'm used to. I was pushing notes out of tune easily so I put on heavy gauge strings... not pushing notes out of tune anymore but my fingertips are sore from a 2 hr jam, what gives? Love the fixed bridge... tuning is super stable. Whole guitar is 6.5 lbs so it's no sweat to pick it up and plink. 24.75" scale is a revelation! I can hit lines and chords that I never thought possible.

Live band - so many mids! What do I do with all these mids? I am taking up a boatload of musical space here. Usually I take up space by playing big chords with a fat attack and thin out my sound by backing off the attack... this guitar takes up the same amount of space with a single note. I need to find a new way to dial it down and play dynamically - maybe the volume knob plays more of a role here than my picking hand.

Anyways, just reflecting on this instrument instead of working. Back to it.

Alex
    Last edited by alex1fly; 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Well, now you understand why people start "scooping" the mids on an amp. Two volumes two tones let you get some interesting middle switch position tones. And if you are playing into an amp on the edge of breaking up, you can set your pickups to switch between a cleaner and more overdriven sound with the three way switch on the guitar.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

When I had a SG with P90's (SG Classic from about 10 years ago or so), same thing. Big sound and took up a lot of sonic space. But that was a good thing. When it comes to backing off, that's where the 2 volumes/2 tones come in handy. Dial the neck pickup to a lower volume that lets you "sit back" a bit, or even roll the tone off the bridge some and play lighter or switch to the neck and play lighter. When you want to dig in, it will respond. As for your fingers being sore, stick to the string gauge you are used to and lighten up your fret hand a little bit. Will take a little getting used to. The heavier strings are what's doing it. Thicker strings = more tension = tougher on the hand = sore. I love SG's and have a SG Junior now. Simple with 1 P90 volume/tone. But I wouldn't mind a SG Standard. '57 Classics are right at home in a SG body. Big tone.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
        Whole guitar is 6.5 lbs so it's no sweat to pick it up and plink.
        This is the only thing I don't understand. How is that possible? My Ibanez S guitars are 6# 11oz.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

This is the only thing I don't understand. How is that possible? My Ibanez S guitars are 6# 11oz.
          Do your S guitars have an Edge trem on them? They usually have a big block on them. That can add more weight over a thin body with a TOM/STOP setup. It's only a 3oz difference. No two pieces are the same either. One slab can be super light and another slab of the same species can be an anchor.

Comment

Welcome to the world of humbuckers. Mid City, and a lot more compression.

You'll get used to it (or not). You need to play them more lightly. Your entire right hand dynamic approach needs to be tweaked a bit, or else it's just mids, mud, and compression.

It's certainly easier to get Fender pickups sounding like them than it is to go the other way.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-27-2020, 05:53 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Dude, time to start with some moderate dumbbells.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                Dude, time to start with some moderate dumbbells.

I lift heavy every day.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Do your S guitars have an Edge trem on them? They usually have a big block on them. That can add more weight over a thin body with a TOM/STOP setup. It's only a 3oz difference. No two pieces are the same either. One slab can be super light and another slab of the same species can be an anchor.
                  I didnt know there was an authentic Gibson that weighed less than 9# anywhere on the planet.

Comment

I lift heavy every day.
                    Maybe you are over-training?

Try training to failure for 5 sets and train each body part once a week.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I didnt know there was an authentic Gibson that weighed less than 9# anywhere on the planet.
                      Hahaha. Oh yeah. There’s quite a lot. Any of the Juniors, SG’s, Melody Makers, Semi-hollows, and yes, even Les Pauls (though you really need to dig for a LP under 9, but they are out there).

Comment

The pickups on an SG are not in the same place as they are on many guitars, so that provides a certain unfocussed tone. Some people get around that with more gain than they would usually use.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Maybe you are over-training?

Try training to failure for 5 sets and train each body part once a week.
                          PPL

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Hahaha. Oh yeah. There’s quite a lot. Any of the Juniors, SG’s, Melody Makers, Semi-hollows, and yes, even Les Pauls (though you really need to dig for a LP under 9, but they are out there).
                            In prior decades I played Ibanez S series, and it was billed as lightest weight with narrow, tapered body. Ironically, whatever weight savings were made with the smaller body (apparently) were offset by the weight of the trem.

I really don't like the S series guitar because the body is too small and it "sits" too far to the right. I like guitars that reach farther left, I can get a better angle on the upper frets. Next time I'm in GC I will take a closer look at the SG. I haven't had one in my hands for 15+ years.

If its that light, does it suffer from neck dive?
                            Last edited by Top-L; 10-28-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

In prior decades I played Ibanez S series, and it was billed as lightest weight with narrow, tapered body. Ironically, whatever weight savings were made with the smaller body (apparently) were offset by the weight of the trem.

I really don't like the S series guitar because the body is too small and it "sits" too far to the right. I like guitars that reach farther left, I can get a better angle on the upper frets. Next time I'm in GC I will take a closer look at the SG. I haven't had one in my hands for 15+ years.

If its that light, does it suffer from neck dive?
                              I remember when those S series game out, especially the ones that were ridiculously thin. They are super light. A friend in college had one. They felt weird to me with the smaller body size and with me being 6' 3", makes smaller body guitars feel like a toy.

The SG can have neck dive. It all depends on the weight of the neck vs the body and also the weight of the tuners. With stock Gibsons, I've not experienced it much. The SG Classic I had balanced perfectly. The SG Jr I have now (which is a kit guitar, not a Gibson) has zero neck dive.

Comment

Working...
                              X