banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone upgraded the trem block in their PRS SE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone upgraded the trem block in their PRS SE?

Has anyone? Did it make a noticeable difference?

My PRS SE plays like a dream, but it sounds a bit thin compared to my LTD. I don't use the trem at all, so I don't really feel the need to upgrade the whole unit.

I wonder if I upgrade the block to brass, it will sound a little fuller/fatter.

Also, what block did you guys use? Is there something cheaper than FU Tone?

If you don't use it I'm wondering if you could wedge a piece of steel or brass in there to block it? Maybe on both sides of the tremolo block? I'm guessing that would beef it up.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

The issue I had with my SE was the fact that is too bright/thin sounding. I replaced the stock pickups with some Seymour Duncan “covered” pickups and they helped tame the brightness/thinness of the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer84 View Post
        The issue I had with my SE was the fact that is too bright/thin sounding. I replaced the stock pickups with some Seymour Duncan “covered” pickups and they helped tame the brightness/thinness of the guitar.
        Yes. I have three SE's and I replaced the pickups in all three. Duncan Antiquity in one. 59's in another. And Fender EVH Wolfgangs in the third. Big improvement.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, dudes.

I already got good Seymour Duncan pickups in the PRS SE (Black Winter in the bridge, JB in the neck). I really like their core voicing... it's just that the guitar acoustically is a little bit thinner than I'd like. It's not too bad, really. Just wondering if the trem block would be a way of fine-tuning it.

Comment

I recently installed a steel block into my Classic Vibe 50s Strat and the only thing I noticed is that the guitar is heavier. I think you might want to check the pots on your guitar. Maybe changing the volume pot could get you closer to what you're looking for. It's a heavy body so you should have some chunk. You've replaced the pickups and that didn't do it completely. If what I experienced ends up being the same for you then you'll end up with a heavier guitar but no change in sound. A pot would be an inexpensive solution to try.
            Originally posted by Ball&Chain
            Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

SE trem blocks are fairly nice quality from what I can tell. At least, compared to my cheapo import knockoff strat that has the lowest quality parts available all around.

However, blocking the trem on this cheapo import knockoff strat made a surprisingly big difference in the solidity and fatness of the sound. Just wedged a little piece of wood in there.

Did the same on my MIA strat and it had no discernible effect on the tone. Go figure!
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

This is so different from the experience I've had with my SE Custom 22. It was all mids, muffled, and dead. A set of Phat Cats finally solved the problem when every humbucker I tried failed.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  This is so different from the experience I've had with my SE Custom 22. It was all mids, muffled, and dead. A set of Phat Cats finally solved the problem when every humbucker I tried failed.
                  Really? Every PRS SE I've had (Singlecut Korina, Mike Mushok, Nick Catanese, and now this Paul Allender) has been kinda bright and snappy almost to a fault. Not even the full-thickness all-mahogany Nick Catanese was fat-sounding.

Comment

None of mine have a vibrato. They all have the one piece bridge/tailpiece like a Les Paul Jr. They don't sound thin or overly bright to me even with the original pickups. But the original pickups were just OK. So I replaced them with Duncans. A set of double cream Seth Lovers went in this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13301239_10154211582188584_2553468322398325490_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.9 KB ID:	6026907

Comment

Working...
                    X