• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Originally, yes!
    Interesting. Is mine one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Interesting. Is mine one of those?
      No. I had picked up several as NOS from Washburn at one point and had some straight from the SD Custom Shop. Took me a long time to convince myself I didn't need them all, ha ha!!!

The original one from the Jackson was sold off many, many years ago, even though I would later put another El Diablo in it for a brief time. That guitar has seen more pickups than any other guitar I own.

The one from the Washburn I sold on Reverb shortly after I got the guitar. Interesting history...the guitar was supposed to come with a Super V, which was George's brand new signature pickup at the time. However, GL ended up keeping his endorsement with ESP, so his signature Washburn got put on the backburner. In turn, Washburn loaded an El Diablo into the prototype (the one I now own) and sent it off for display at Summer NAMM around 2007 or so. I was lucky to get my hands on a one-off, uncovered Super V pickup signed by George to put back in the guitar, but if it doesn't knock my socks off, then I'll either put a PATB-1 or an El Diablo back in it.

There is a sister prototype to this guitar, as well, last seen in Alabama. It is an import version with the same bullet inlays and finish, but has a multi-piece body, the regular Washburn "X-series" headstock, stock "X-series" body profile (not a carved top like mine), and import electronics. Interestingly, mine originally had the same copper hardware, but the previous owner swapped it all out for black. I'd love to get my hands on the import prototype if just to complete the set:

Click image for larger version  Name:	48398638-2536768189690806-8948475485457743872-n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	6030623
      Last edited by Masta' C; 11-19-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I've never been a huge Washburn fan, but that is sweet. I was hoping to keep the El Diablo "in the family", so to speak.

Comment

I've never been a huge Washburn fan, but that is sweet. I was hoping to keep the El Diablo "in the family", so to speak.
          I plan to sell off all my extra pickups, but not the El Diablo

Worst case it may find its way back into my #1 or #2

Comment

I plan to sell off all my extra pickups, but not the El Diablo.
            The El Diablo doesn't get the love it deserves. Just as a reminder . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shecter_Diablo_sm.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	6030643

Comment

The El Diablo doesn't get the love it deserves. Just as a reminder . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shecter_Diablo_sm.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	6030643
              Wow! How does that thing sound?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Wow! How does that thing sound?
                Sweet, silky, and clean. I swear . . . I'm going to drive down to Tampa and let you play it. Maybe after the holidays.

And, in case you didn't catch the original post, that's the Duncan Ric bass pup, adapted to neck duty.

Comment

badass

Comment

I love that you did that, Artie! Very creative. There's something about rail pickups in both positions that just looks so darn cool!

Comment

I love that you did that, Artie! Very creative. There's something about rail pickups in both positions that just looks so darn cool!
                      Thanks man. I'm begging Seymour Duncan to release the Ric bass pup as the El Diablo neck. They'll sell a million.

Edit: Ok. Not a million. But a few.
                      Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-19-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

LP jr. , i think . Everytime I play one, i get a great sound- and it's so easy to make / play music on. .

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Why are so many of the old single-buckers (like those Kramers on page1) slanted in the "wrong"(IMO) direction?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the poles closer to the bridge on the 6th-string side, and then have them slanted inward for the small strings?
                          1. Would make for fuller tone doing bridge-leads, and also tighter bass on the bigger wounds.
                          2. Most players pick the string a bit closer to the bridge on the wounds, and not as close to the bridge on the plains.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                            Why are so many of the old single-buckers (like those Kramers on page1) slanted in the "wrong"(IMO) direction?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the poles closer to the bridge on the 6th-string side, and then have them slanted inward for the small strings?
                            1. Would make for fuller tone doing bridge-leads, and also tighter bass on the bigger wounds.
                            2. Most players pick the string a bit closer to the bridge on the wounds, and not as close to the bridge on the plains.
                            Have often thought the same thing!

Comment

For me....any Jr. type guitar always sounds great with one pickup. I wish more companies made single pickup guitars.
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                              X