Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hercules vs LPs

Just FYI . . .

This is apparently a thing that I was not aware of. I have had [2] Hercules triple guitar stands for a decade. Last night I was watching the Allman Bros special on AXSTV and BAMM! One of the stands just collapsed dropping my guitars in the process. And, yes, it was naturally my 50th R9 and LP Axcess. My R9 has a huge ding now and the Axcess hit so hard it popped the tremolo block clear out of the guitar. It seems to be otherwise undamaged as was the [3rd] cheaper Godin. My 3rd stand with my Carvins and Strat is a different brand and seems to be fine.

Yeah, I know, should have been in their cases. But, I learned years ago on another guitar even that is not bullet proof. I play them all regularly so I've done this for 10 yrs without incident. The plastic clamp literally disintegrated over time to almost a soft sticky rubber like crap. Same problem on my other one with cheap[er] guitars had not fallen. Actually they have both fallen clear to the other end of the mancave now during a profane tantrum. Apparently you can get a replacement if you have your receipt . . . from a guitar stand . . . you bought 10 yrs ago?

I can fix the Axcess. Not sure what to do with my R9? Just live with it I guess . . .

Add it to the freakin 2020 pile!

Carvin 200T, CS6 Flamed KOA w/Floyd, TL60T Flamed Walnut
    Gibson Lifeson White ES-355 and Crimson Red Axcess Les Paul both AL-230
    Gibson 1 of 25 50th R9 Cognacburst
    Epiphone Tribute Plus Les Paul and Dot 335
    Fender AM Deluxe [Beck] Strat
    Godin LGXT and P90 Core and Montreal Premier
    Hagstrom Super Swede Tri-P90S
    Egnater Renegade and Cabinet

Oh man, that is awful! I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a stand to not implode, even after 10 years.
    I would take a pic of the stand send it to the Hercules company. As far as your R9...well, you got a good story, at least.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I too have had a Hercules failure,although while taking a guitar off of it,,luckily not falling.It had that same gummy gooey feel to the connecter and parts just fell out. I am curious what causes the failure.

Comment

This is a bummer. I have two Hercules stands: a triple and a double. I wonder if they'd do a recall/replacement before they fail?

Comment

Oh man, that sucks. I've never used a double or triple stand like those. I used to have Rockstands 5 guitar stand but those line up in a row. Nothing to fail really there. The only Hercules stand I have is a single and it was bought for my Dean ML since it wouldn't work on any of my other stands.

Maybe Hercules will take care of this one. As for the R9, don't what can be done. A good tech that repairs finish repair like that would be able to tell you.

Comment

Well, this is sightly terrifying. I've got a few thousand dollars hanging from some decade-old Hercules clamps right now...
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I would just look for a sticky rubbery feel to the plastic. If so, get them down.

I may have a decent luthier look at my R9 to see what can be done? I don't know any in the Kansas area but I got a reference to one over in MO. Sent him a message.

Comment

Hey canon . . . could you possibly take a pic of the failed part? I want to make sure I inspect the right section. My stands are only a couple years old.

Comment

I always considered Hercules hangers to be poorly designed. IMHO they just look like something ready to fail at any moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Hey canon . . . could you possibly take a pic of the failed part? I want to make sure I inspect the right section. My stands are only a couple years old.
                    Sorry, was not getting my notifications . . .

So, these were in the trash so they have crap all over them now but here is the culprit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2272.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	6034491

Comment

Single wall hangers should be fine then. They don't have that part and also don't have the weight of three guitars on them.

Comment

All of mine are wall hangers with metal plates. I checked them out last week and nothing has turned gummy on the plastic bits, thankfully.
                        ---------------------------
                        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Wonder how far I'd get in small claims? $10K of guitars are now easily 1/2 price given scratches, dings, and divots. Now I play all my guitars which is why they are always out so these were not perfect condition. But they were not at all damaged before. Guess I'm lucky they still play OK?

Just sick . . . but at least it ain't covid!

Comment

If you want insurance or claima to devalue your guitars
                              they will probably take ownership of said instruments
                              You may be in the lesson learned camp
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X