Tele models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele models

After selling my Strat earlier this year (after 18 years of service!) and diving headfirst into the world of mahogany and humbuckers, I'm now circling back to the world of Fender. Keep bouncing back and forth between Strat and Tele, but lately I'm leaning more towards a Tele since they're highly regarded and I still have a Frankenstrat kicking around. And since I'm an overthinker I'm making up a little spreadsheet of Tele models, and figured I'd share highlights here for anyone's viewing pleasure. There are a lot to choose from so I am listing out the features that interest me in each particular model. The list starts at most expensive and works towards the least expensive.

Brad Paisley Road Worn
    V neck, Nitro body, Brass saddles, silver color

Vintera Road Worn 50's
    7.25" radius neck, Nitro body, brass saddles, blue or blonde color

Vintera 50s Modified
    V neck, nitro body, brass saddles, 4-way switching, S-1 switch for OOP tone

Vintera 50s
    7.25" radius neck, brass saddles

Nashville Deluxe
    Middle pickup

Player
    Butterscotch blonde color
    Tidepool color - same as my former Strat

Classic Vibe 50s
    Butterscotch blonde or white color

4-way Switch add-on
    Sounds awesome on vids and makes me feel more comfortable about investing in an SS guitar
    ObsidianWire builds The solderless Telecaster wiring harness, with a range of Telecaster Electronics with vintage 3-way, custom 4-way, three pickup Nashville kits, and the all new 'Universal' built for humbucker loaded Telecasters. Learn More...

Looking for some new tones for your Tele? Need to upgrade your pots, switches, and output jack? Check out this 4-way switch upgrade! Here is a link to the O...

What I want is the electronics and neck from the Vintera 50s Modified on a different colored body, without killing the resale value. That's reasonable, right?
    Last edited by alex1fly; 11-19-2020, 03:33 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

The Vintera 50’s Modified is the rerelease of the Classic Player Baja Tele, one of the best values/Teles out there.

The beautiful thing about Fenders is how plug and play they are. To me, the absolute most important thing is the neck. If that particular neck is the one you want you have two options, buy that guitar or buy that neck aftermarket. If the electronics and hardware are all exactly what you want but you want a different color, buying the Vintera and another body on Reverb/Ebay/Craigslist and bolting it up is no issue. What color are you looking for? You could even do Warmoth and get the exact body you want..... then hang onto the Fender body in case you want to sell or just sell it outright to help offset the other body’s cost.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The only thing I can add is that the SM-1 mini-hum is the coolest Tele neck pup I've heard. IMHO.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-19-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

You should also look at the Fender Tele Deluxe model with the Fender Wide Range humbuckers and strat neck .
        You can cover a lot of ground with that setup from cleans to a real close LP tone .

Comment

When deciding on a Tele, the biggest thing is figuring out if you want to go traditional or not. To do that, you just have to go and play a lot of them. I tend to lean on the modern side of things, but I had to figure that out from playing loads of Teles.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another option is to go Player, replace the neck if need be, and add on the Baja wiring afterwards. Looks like there are some kits.

Color is important too. I've made the mistake of buying an axe that was great on paper and thought I'd warm up to the color - but didn't and was thankfully able to return it.

I honestly don't know how much I care about vintage specs. I know I like the V neck because I played one before lockdown and it was fantastic. I'm CURIOUS about vintage specs, but not a stickler. Nitro finishes are cool, I have an SG with nitro and just like how I can feel the grooves of the wood. Makes me feel more connected to the woodiness of the instrument. But, ehh.

I'm more nervous about buying a TWO SINGLE COIL PICKUP guitar (gasp!). How can a Telecaster possibly be better than a Strat? Just kidding.
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

The thing about vintage specs is, once you play one, you start to realize just how many recordings of all styles were recorded with it.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                The thing about vintage specs is, once you play one, you start to realize just how many recordings of all styles were recorded with it.
                Yeah, it is hard to not hear that sound in everything you play on a vintage-style Tele. That could be good or bad. Good if you want to replicate those sounds, bad if you sort of have your own thing going on.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think the Vintera 50's Modified (Baja) is the best on your list.

I've been a "Tele guy" for a few decades now. I owned 7 of them at one point. Everything from 52 reissue to MIM Standard. I thought I was fully into 50's style pickups and tone as well. That all changed about 3 months ago when I bought an American Original 60's Tele. I'd never been into rosewood boards or bound bodies, but this one just did something. I kid you not, this Tele has ruined all other Teles for me. The neck is unlike anything else I've played and the tone is unreal good. I know it's above your price range, but I am not kidding when I say the AO60's is the BEST guitar I have ever laid hands on. I sold off two of my other Teles already because there was no point in even owning them as I was never going to reach for them again.
                  -
                  My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

What vintage items can be added on later to get closer to that sound? And which don't impact the sound?

For example pickups obviously play a big role in the sound, maybe the bridge plate and saddle material, nickel strings too...

But a 7.25" radius won't necessarily sound different than a 12" radius. Might make you play differently. A polka dot gloss finish won't sound different than a butterscotch blonde gloss finish.

Places like TDPRI and TGP have tons of threads where people debate the tonal impact of different kinds of tuners. That feels a little hair-splitting to me but clearly important for those wanting an era-specific look or sound. I'm more interested in versatile, non-fussy instruments that play well.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                      What vintage items can be added on later to get closer to that sound? And which don't impact the sound?

For example pickups obviously play a big role in the sound, maybe the bridge plate and saddle material, nickel strings too...

But a 7.25" radius won't necessarily sound different than a 12" radius. Might make you play differently. A polka dot gloss finish won't sound different than a butterscotch blonde gloss finish.

Places like TDPRI and TGP have tons of threads where people debate the tonal impact of different kinds of tuners. That feels a little hair-splitting to me but clearly important for those wanting an era-specific look or sound. I'm more interested in versatile, non-fussy instruments that play well.
                      I'd say pickups are #1. Then the bridge/saddles. Then body wood. Then maybe the fretboard material.

For example, I've got an American Standard Tele with an Ash body and maple fretboard. I dropped a set of Fender '64 pickups in it. Sounds awesome.
                      My American Original 60's has an alder body and rosewood board. It's got the same '64 pickups in it. It sounds different. Better.

I have never in my life heard of tuners impacting the tone. It's definitely not the first mod I'd make to change the sound of my guitar.

If you are going to a Tele for the first time the one thing I will tell you is USE THE TONE KNOB. Especially on the bridge pickup. You get all kinds of ignoramuses who are used to just keeping their guitar knobs all the way up who pick up a Tele and then complain that the bridge pickup is unusable because it's too bright. Back the tone knob down a bit and it thickens up. You get the most amazing cut through the mix tone. Keith Richards plays on his bridge pickup almost 100% of the time.
                      -
                      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I like a balance between vintage and modern, with the modern being more about playability. My bitsa Tele has a 60's-style neck, but with a flatter radius. The bridge has compensated brass saddles. Other than that, it's a vintage-style Tele. No magic switching options, in fact the Psyclone in the neck isn't even wired to the tone pot!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

What I want is the electronics and neck from the Vintera 50s Modified on a different colored body, without killing the resale value. That's reasonable, right?
                          What color? That model is basically the Baja, which you could buy used in a handful of other colors. If resale is actually a consideration of yours (it rarely is for me), then you should be buying used anyhow.

I like the Vinteras (and the previous Classics) a lot, but brand new, they are overpriced for what you get IMO. I only bit on a brand new one (the 'silver '70s Jazz Bass) because I was able to negotiate it down to 40 percent off. It's a really good instrument, but I would not have paid full price for it, or even 20 percent off.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-21-2020, 11:59 AM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

How can a Telecaster possibly be better than a Strat? Just kidding.
                            It's worse than that. There are three pickup selections, but only the bridge and bridge/neck are usable on a vintage tele. :P
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

+1 to Artie! And the SD SM1 mini humbucker is incredible! The right neck is also a key part. Several years ago I got the '52 Hot Rod Tele, played several and found one with the right neck and that was it for me. Well worth shopping around for. This beast will do anything from cool jazz to hot country with the old school vibe. I can't say enough about it. Not sure if they still make them though.

Comment

Working...
                              X