Gibson vs Fender style control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson vs Fender style control

Who prefers one over the other and why? I'm talking Gibson's Volume/Volume/Tone/Tone/3-way vs Fender's Volume/Tone/Tone/5-way or Volume/Tone/3-way.

I know they both work well, but it's interesting to me so few Fenders come with multiple volume controls, while a whole slew of Gibsons do. Is it simply tradition?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

I like them both but lean towards Gibson. The volume is too close to the pickup for me with the Fender design. My HH Strat is wired VOL/VOL/TONE 5-way super switch.

Comment

Gibson style with separate volumes. Would be beneficial even on Fenders to balance and mix the pickups, though it's not that big of a deal. Usually I find it's needed to get the in-between positions to sound right - so technically, neither. Really what I need is Fender style master volume with a mini-variable resistor for each pickup in the wiring cavity - just set and forget.

Comment

I can get along happily with any of them . . . and there are pluses/minuses . . . but personal preference is one volume, one tone. I like to play with both the volume and tone knobs a lot and find it's just easier to keep track of everything when there are fewer knobs.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like the Strat, since I am more used to that. I'd actually like 1 vol, 1 tone, and the switch.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

1V1T, 2V2T, 2V1T. Probably wouldn't mind a single pup guitar with just 1V either.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X