DIY Forearm contour/tummy cut/contoured heel on parts Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Forearm contour/tummy cut/contoured heel on parts Tele

I have a partscaster Tele I’m trying to fix up. I’m planning on trying to try to cut a Fender style contoured heel, a tummy cut and a forearm contour into it. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
    As far as finishing goes, I was gonna leave it as the plain wood, and just finish it off with Tru-oil to offer some protection. Does anyone have any tips on the finishing process?

It honestly doesn’t matter to me if it does have a “pro” look. It was my old punk guitar I used in my teens. It was already a little grungy looking to begin with. I’m honestly more concerned with functionality than aesthetics.
    Last edited by Birdman642; 11-25-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

the first one i did was with rasp and belt sander or orbital sander, cant remember since it was so long ago. i did the heavy shaping with the rasp then smoothing with the sander and by hand. it was a fair amount of work but came out really good. what do you have available for tools?

Comment

4 inch side grinder with a sanding disk
        clamp to table
        Rough it to shape
        Finish sand all of it

Clamp it to a table and use both hands to hold the grinder

This is the most important part

Cheap Harbor Freight grinder and some disks are likely les than $20
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          what do you have available for tools?
          As far as tools go, I’d likely have to buy everything when I do the project itself. I saw something with someone using a small handsaw for rough shaping the tummy cut, and then a small planer for the forearm. How much work would that all be?
          Last edited by Birdman642; 11-25-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

With those hand tools it will be a bit of work. Several hours worth of project. You won't have to kill yourself tho. Otherwise what ehd said will be the quickest and easiest method. A fast spinning adjustable speed grinder with a sanding pad on it will take down the material without very much work. Then you can just hand sand for the final finish sand.

You don't need to finish it, it's just extra work. All my guitars are unfinished and they're fine. If you bring it everywhere it might get a little dented but it's not a big deal. They get a little dirty but not really. If you're concerned about them not looking dirty you can just fine sand them periodically to make them look fresh again. I have had mine for a while now and I still haven't felt the need to do this.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 11-25-2020, 01:58 PM.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sand.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	6032222
              Awesome

Name:	chain.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	6032223
              Awesomer.

Comment

Ahh!
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  You don't need to finish it, it's just extra work. All my guitars are unfinished and they're fine. If you bring it everywhere it might get a little dented but it's not a big deal. They get a little dirty but not really. If you're concerned about them not looking dirty you can just fine sand them periodically to make them look fresh again. I have had mine for a while now and I still haven't felt the need to do this.
                  if you gig or jam with a band with any regularity, the guitar will get dirty. i have one guitar without a finish and its got some pretty funky spots on it. way more than you could realistically sand out without putting in a ton of work.

Comment

It's probably several years old tho hey? If you wanted to maintain a high use unfinished guitar you could probably just 220s it every year or so.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Awesomest

Name:	flexpad1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	6032229Click image for larger version

Name:	flexpad2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	6032230
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        It's probably several years old tho hey? If you wanted to maintain a high use unfinished guitar you could probably just 220s it every year or so.
                        its not a high use guitar and youre right you could sand it every year. probably more frequently if youre sweating, every few months in that case. or you could just finish it, which in the long run will save you a ton of work. an oil finish doesnt require anything fancy and isnt very hard unless you are trying to get a glossy finish

Comment

I see. The oil finish doesn't get dirty?
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post

Name:	sand.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	6032222
                            Awesome

Name:	chain.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	6032223
                            Awesomer.
                            nope that chain saw thing comes apart at speed and is dangerous as F%^&

Sanding disk

4.5 Inch Flap Discs by LotFancy - 20PCS 40 60 80 120 Grit Assorted Sanding Grinding Wheels, Aluminum Oxide Abrasives, Type #27: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

nope that chain saw thing comes apart at speed and is dangerous as F%^&

Sanding disk
                              Yep, sanding disc is the way to go.
                              I never had the chain disc bust off when I have used one. I am very aware that it can and do treat it with respect. They take off sooo much meat.

Comment

Working...
                              X