string ferrul help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string ferrul help

ok, this is most likely a stupid question, but i need to ask it. I am almost done with my warmoth strat, and while going through what still needs to be done, i came across the string ferrules (as i have a strat flatmount bridge). So i thought "hell, this should be easy enough." I tried to just slide the ferrules into their holes, but they are a little too big. I am almost positive that the ferrules arent bass-sized, because they seem to be the right size just by looking at them. But when i put them up to the holes, they dont go in, even when i push on them. So, what i would like to know is whether or not there is a trick to putting them in the guitar, or are the holes just not big enough. Is this normal when ordering this kind of a bridge from warmoth? any help is appreciated. thanks.
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Re: string ferrul help

In many cases, it's a good thing when the hole just isn't big enough. He He.
    But, in this case, you'll have to carefully enlarge them, but not too much.
    Widen them just enough so you still have to pound them in with a hammer.
    Even better, if you put a tiny dab of glue first. Nothing is more annoying than changing your strings, and having one of them fly into the room somewhere.
    You can't even finish stringing your guitar till you find it. I know.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

ya, my body is finished, so i think i will see if lightly tapping with a hammer doesnt seem to work. if not, i can try the sanding, but i really dont wana do any more drilling than i need to so i hope i dont need to do this. thanks guys.
      my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
      fender dg20ce acoustic
      peavey blazer 15 watt
      line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
      Atomic Reactor 112
      Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

I found this advice at Stewmac, but I still chipped my paint:

Personally, I found installing the ferrules the most nerve wracking part. I used a rubber mallet, and that seemed to work better than the screwdriver tip (I think I might have started them with the screwdriver). Soldering iron...it just seemed to chip the paint.
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by clint_41
          ya, my body is finished, so i think i will see if lightly tapping with a hammer doesnt seem to work.
          I think part of my problem was that the finish got into the holes. Try the sandpaper bit first, then maybe (and very carefully, so that the drill doesn't jump around), try widening them first. You want them to be tight, so that the stay in, but not so tight that the wood or finish cracks.
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

Yeah it sounds like the finish got into the holes. Did you put tape in the hole before finishing or was the body prefinished? You could try a round file to widen the holes a bit.

Comment

Working...
            X