Buying Guitars Online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Guitars Online?

I'm looking to add a Telecaster to the family. First one. Nearly every piece of gear I've ever purchased has been by "running the racks" and finding one that I connect with, or was a make/model that I had good experiences with elsewhere. Unfortunately COVID is spiking like mad in my area (Denver), and I don't expect that to end any time soon, so I'm wrestling with the thought of buying online.

Any tips for online shopping vs in person?
    How do you avoid second-guessing the instrument you receive?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

I'd say, just go with a reputable company. Sweetwater first. But I like Musicians Friend also. Both have good customer support.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      I'd say, just go with a reputable company. Sweetwater first. But I like Musicians Friend also. Both have good customer support.
      Yeah, and get on the phone and talk with people.

Comment

The thing I like about MF is if I don't jive with the guitar I can return it to the closet Guitar Center.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          The thing I like about MF is if I don't jive with the guitar I can return it to the closet Guitar Center.
          And, (I think), if you order it online, you can have it shipped to a local GC. That way you can do "hands on" before walking out with it.

Comment

And, (I think), if you order it online, you can have it shipped to a local GC. That way you can do "hands on" before walking out with it.
            That is what I did with my Iced Tea Traditional. I got a bit of attitude because they were not getting commission on a Les Paul. But they did let me plug into a Marshall for a bit.

Comment

Make sure that the store had a good return policy. I know Sweetwater does. But other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to order a guitar online.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I didn't know that about MF & GC

Nice
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  I didn't know that about MF & GC

Nice
                  I'm pretty sure that MF and GC are the same company. GC is the brick 'n mortar side, while MF is the online presence.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that MF and GC are the same company. GC is the brick 'n mortar side, while MF is the online presence.
                    You are correct they are owned by the same people.

Comment

Ask the right questions and you will get a lot of good information. The stores already mentioned work. If you want a more mom and pop scenario you will never go wrong by shopping Willcutts.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        Good point.

Comment

Well, for now- GC is having quite the financial trouble. This could mean good deals or, more likely, they won't be around a long time. I don't know how that will affect MF.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

15 years ago I thought the idea of buying a guitar online sight unseen (or unplayed) was lunacy. Now the majority of my rather expensive guitar purchases have been online.

The reason I have more confidence in doing it online these days is that I'm confident in what I know I want from a guitar. Do your research, know the model, know the specs, scour forums and reviews, watch youtube videos about that particular guitar - or as close as you can get to it. By the time I order I have a pretty good idea of what that guitar is going to sound like, and a reasonably good idea of what it might play like. There is some unknown involved, sure, but you can usually get a pretty good sense of these things by doing your homework. I've bought both new and used guitars online this way and I've never been disappointed. I've even asked Reverb sellers to weigh a guitar for me if they haven't listed the weight in their description because that's something I know is one of the key determining factors whether I will enjoy it or not.

I will add the one caution that you need to do a setup on the guitar after it arrives BEFORE you make a judgement on whether its good or not. I've had a couple arrive and kinda felt "meh" about them until I did a full setup and got it playing the way I like. THEN it was like, "wow, this is awesome!" You'd be surprised how just a 1/4 turn of the truss rod and setting the string radius and action can take a guitar from 6/10 to 10/10.
                            Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 12-01-2020, 10:41 AM.
                            -
                            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                              I ordered four guitars online this year, and all four of them arrived in perfect condition, and all were keepers.
                              I pulled my Goldtop out of the case and it was perfect. Usually, with Les Pauls I have to lower the action a bit, this guitar was perfect. It is now my No. 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X