• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to build a Pickup Test Bed guitar

Here is what I'm thinking:

Basic Squire Strat
    Quick Connect system
    Get an appropriate pick guard. (Humbucker in this case)

Just capo the strings on the neck, and remove the pick guard to do an easy swap, replace pick guard and neck and good to go!

Comments?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I might approach this differently. A long time ago, there was a Duncan blog, where they showed a special guitar, that had blocks that you slid in the back. You could swap a pup in a few seconds. I'd do something like that. Make a dirt simple "Bo-Diddle-ish" rectangular body. Bolt on your favorite neck. (You can always put it back when the test is over.) Cut the opening for the pup all the way through, then make a few "pup-plugs", so to speak, that allow you to swap in seconds.

That's how I'd do it.

Comment

The easiest would be a one-pickup Gibson/Epiphone, just loosen the strings, pull up the tailpiece, and attach the new pickup.

Prolly just cut the stock pickup wiring in the pickup cavity, and twist and tape the test subjects there
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Here is what I'm thinking:

Basic Squire Strat

Comments?
        Squier

Comment

I played a cool one at Fishman, the pickup was installed through the back of the guitar.

Comment

hard tail
            in from the back

unscrew the adjustment screws
            and pop out

use a screw terminal in the open hole to attach to new wiring

I saw an bolt on epi LP that was set up that way
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have a top routed H/S/S non-pickguard parts Tele and all of the controls are wired so I can just attach pickups I want to try with alligator clips and pickup rings.

Comment

The problem with most pickup test guitars is that there's no easy way to get pickup height exactly the same from test to test. The height can change how the pickup sounds pretty dramatically.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  The problem with most pickup test guitars is that there's no easy way to get pickup height exactly the same from test to test. The height can change how the pickup sounds pretty dramatically.
                  That's why I liked the pick guard solution - you'd use the regular mounting screws & springs

I suppose there is a rear load method or design. Something an ENGINEER might come up with....

Comment

The problem with a Strat is that you need to take the pickguard off. I'd use a bolt on, but rear-mounted electronics. You can use a Liberator pot, and switch out pickups in a few minutes.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      hard tail
                      in from the back

unscrew the adjustment screws
                      and pop out

use a screw terminal in the open hole to attach to new wiring

I saw an bolt on epi LP that was set up that way
                      If you direct-mounted the pickups to the mounting block, you'd always have the same height provided that leg length was uniform.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

That Dan Armstrong solution was pretty smart but sadly only works with their pickups...I think. Has anyone made a universal pickup harness for this guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

If you direct-mounted the pickups to the mounting block, you'd always have the same height provided that leg length was uniform.
                          Which is fine until you get a short leg, or the original height is not correct, etc...Gotta be an easy way to adjust. Low block with screws would work, or even a ring on something....

Comment

i built this lets say 16 years ago? hasnt been used in years, mostly cause i took the neck off and gave it to a friend. the top set of controls is 500k, the bottom is 250k each with their own jack. you cant see it but there is a hole that usually has the wires from the control cavity run into where the pups go so you can easily connect a pup to a set of controls in a few seconds. the two metal rails in the cavity are part of a system that lets me slide the pup to any position within the cavity. there are a few different blocks that connect to the rails. one for short leg buckers, one for long leg buckers, one for strat/tele neck pups, one for tele bridge pups, and one for p90s. basically the pup attaches to a block which connects to the rails keeping the height from the strings the same. though it can be adjusted with shims which are 1/16" each. the idea (and it works fine) is that you can swap pups keeping damn near everything the same and try a set of 500k or 250k controls

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	6034158

Comment

Get one of those relish guitars, the pickups mount to a plate that pops in with magnets. The wiring has 4 pins that touch a pad in the body to make contact. They have a height adjustment screw on the back for the pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X