No announcement yet.

What's going on in this control cavity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on in this control cavity?

So I'm on the hunt for a Telecaster to add to the family, and I opened up the control cavity of this new Fender Player Series Tele. I'm not an expert in guitar construction, but it looks to me like there's three distinct layers - the alder portion is on bottom, with a layer of another wood on top (the top 1\4 or so), and then the white part almost looks like a thin bit of painted laminate or veneer. I can't find anything in the specs about multiple wood types, but dang if it doesn't look like there's multiple layers of material going on. What do you all see here?
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Looks like one species to me. It's most likely 2 or 3 pieces, but not in layers like pancake. Could be coloring from the router lines. The top is the paint layer. There's a chloroplast or some other sealer on top of the wood to make the surface completely flat and smooth and then the paint layer over that.

Comment

I have a couple of solid body Peavey's that look similar. They did the routing in multiple passes, so it looks like multiple layers. Just the way the cutting head did it.

Comment

are you talking about the wiring?

EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Looks like really thick paint on a multi-ply body, or like Artie said - possibly router marks. Though the top layer looks pretty rough to me, like it's a different piece of wood.

Comment

Interesting, I didn't know the router bit could make marks like that. The finish looks pretty amazing overall on the outside. Glad to hear it's probably not a particle board pancake
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

Man, I don't know. Took 'er apart today just to satisfy curiosity about various things and here are some more photos. It sure looks like there's a top to me, probably of the same species. But then again, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Do these photos shine any light on what's going on?
              Attached Files

Comment

Couple more
                Attached Files

Comment

yeah, different grain. looks like at least 2-piece front/back to me. not sure why there would be a top of the same type, unless it was supposed to be better looking grain, but then they painted it solid, so WTF? Maybe they didn't have a plank thick enough leftover to make a body?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    yeah, different grain. looks like at least 2-piece front/back to me. not sure why there would be a top of the same type, unless it was supposed to be better looking grain, but then they painted it solid, so WTF? Maybe they didn't have a plank thick enough leftover to make a body?
                    Yeah that's kind of what I'm wondering too. Why do a top if you're going to paint it? Could it have been destined for a natural finish at one point? Does it really matter? I suppose I could write in to Fender and see if that brings anything worthwhile to the investigation...

Comment

Makes me want to crack it open... You know, like a geode

Comment

I honestly didn't know anyone was doing pancake construction anymore - multi-piece side-by-side, sure, but not top-to-back- but damn if that doesn't look like fairly convincing evidence for it.
                        ---------------------------
                        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

My thought is that they were just using up some extra pieces of wood. I know in the 80s, some Kramers and BC Riches were like 7 thin layers piled high like that.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            My thought is that they were just using up some extra pieces of wood. I know in the 80s, some Kramers and BC Riches were like 7 thin layers piled high like that.
                            I think THAT was just plain old plywood (or, alternatively, ash, which can sometimes look like plywood plies in a pickup cavity)
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I got a Kramer from this era (210) and it is very heavy (4.2Kg). Never got to the wood, but it looks solid to me, e.g. it has floyd rose screws instead of inserts, no problem in the 30 yrs I own it, my same year Carvin cd135 had the wood (maple) colapse near the floyd rose studs.

Comment

Working...
                              X