What's going on in this control cavity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
    I got a Kramer from this era (210) and it is very heavy (4.2Kg). Never got to the wood, but it looks solid to me, e.g. it has floyd rose screws instead of inserts, no problem in the 30 yrs I own it, my same year Carvin cd135 had the wood (maple) colapse near the floyd rose studs.
    Collapsed maple?

Is that even normally possible??? Sounds like some kind of manufacturing error, dud wood, or maybe a really hard impact to the bridge that transferred the force to the studs imho.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I got a Kramer from this era (210) and it is very heavy (4.2Kg). Never got to the wood, but it looks solid to me, e.g. it has floyd rose screws instead of inserts, no problem in the 30 yrs I own it, my same year Carvin cd135 had the wood (maple) colapse near the floyd rose studs.
      It isn't that these guitars are 'bad', but I think they were making them quickly, cheaply, and ready to rock. As long as it sort of looked the same as our idols. These companies were under dubious ownership at the time, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        My thought is that they were just using up some extra pieces of wood.
        Could be. Any reason to think this affects the resultant quality of the guitar, as opposed to if it were a solid piece?
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Could be. Any reason to think this affects the resultant quality of the guitar, as opposed to if it were a solid piece?
          ppl claim that the less pieces of wood a guitar body is made of the better the quality, whereas for guitar necks it is the opposite : laminate 3,5,7-piece necks are considered supperior to 1-piece

Comment

ppl claim that the less pieces of wood a guitar body is made of the better the quality, whereas for guitar necks it is the opposite : laminate 3,5,7-piece necks are considered supperior to 1-piece
            When they talk about bodies, they are generally talking about plywood. Many-piece necks are usually made of aesthetically pleasing wood chosen for the look and strength. Look at some of Orpheo's multi-laminate necks. He can tell you how that differs from multi-piece bodies glued together.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Tele Plus is alder with ash on the top and back. I’ll pop the control plate out and see if it looks similar to yours.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

OP here. This Tele doesn't have a layered body as I suspected - the grain is incredibly straight in some spots so it just looks that way. In others, it's clearly the same piece of wood. And despite the thick shield of finish, the body rings out quite a lot. I can strum a chord with normal velocity and feel the vibrations in the body some 12 seconds later. Anyways, just wanted to close the loop after spending more time with the guitar.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                X