Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alex1fly
    replied
    Man, I don't know. Took 'er apart today just to satisfy curiosity about various things and here are some more photos. It sure looks like there's a top to me, probably of the same species. But then again, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Do these photos shine any light on what's going on?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Interesting, I didn't know the router bit could make marks like that. The finish looks pretty amazing overall on the outside. Glad to hear it's probably not a particle board pancake

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    Looks like really thick paint on a multi-ply body, or like Artie said - possibly router marks. Though the top layer looks pretty rough to me, like it's a different piece of wood.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    are you talking about the wiring?

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I have a couple of solid body Peavey's that look similar. They did the routing in multiple passes, so it looks like multiple layers. Just the way the cutting head did it.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    Looks like one species to me. It's most likely 2 or 3 pieces, but not in layers like pancake. Could be coloring from the router lines. The top is the paint layer. There's a chloroplast or some other sealer on top of the wood to make the surface completely flat and smooth and then the paint layer over that.

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    started a topic What's going on in this control cavity?

What's going on in this control cavity?

So I'm on the hunt for a Telecaster to add to the family, and I opened up the control cavity of this new Fender Player Series Tele. I'm not an expert in guitar construction, but it looks to me like there's three distinct layers - the alder portion is on bottom, with a layer of another wood on top (the top 1\4 or so), and then the white part almost looks like a thin bit of painted laminate or veneer. I can't find anything in the specs about multiple wood types, but dang if it doesn't look like there's multiple layers of material going on. What do you all see here?
    Attached Files
Working...
X