No announcement yet.

The 2021 "My Next Guitar" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's two that I'd like to add to my collection.

1. I'd like a Goldtop LP. I have your basic black Custom and a Pelham Blue. The Goldtop would do it for me. This one from Sweetwater would come in around $600:

2. I've got a pair, (N/B), of Custom Shop Pearly single-sized hums burning a hole in my parts draw. They'd go sweet in this: (Also Sweetwater. Also $600.)

We'll see. Something, or two, may have to go first.

Comment

Fork in the road for my next guitar, which won't be until 2022 at the earliest (just bought one this year).

On the one hand, I really want an HSS Strat with trem, but not Fender. Eyeing Charvel pretty hard.

On the other hand, I would very much like a semihollow. Eyeing PRS pretty hard.

On the third hand (don't be handist against aliens!), I would love to own a hardtail Schecter Banshee.

My price range is around $1000.

Comment

After finally breaking from my long hiatus from playing electric and focusing on acoustics, I went a bit wild at the end of this year and bought a Dave's Guitar Shop limited run '62 reissue Jazzmaster and a used Fender 60's Original P-Bass, in sonic blue and surf green, respectively. Even though I sold an ES-345 VOS to fund the bulk of those purchases, I'm thinking 2021 is going to be a guitar-free year given the expense, but who knows. Pedals and recording software is a different question.
        DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
          After finally breaking from my long hiatus from playing electric and focusing on acoustics, I went a bit wild at the end of this year and bought a Dave's Guitar Shop limited run '62 reissue Jazzmaster and a used Fender 60's Original P-Bass, in sonic blue and surf green, respectively. Even though I sold an ES-345 VOS to fund the bulk of those purchases, I'm thinking 2021 is going to be a guitar-free year given the expense, but who knows. Pedals and recording software is a different question.
          How is the neck thickness on those 62RI's from Dave's? I love the AO60's chunky necks and I wondered if those 62's have them or whether they went with the skinnier AVRI style neck.
          -
          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post

How is the neck thickness on those 62RI's from Dave's? I love the AO60's chunky necks and I wondered if those 62's have them or whether they went with the skinnier AVRI style neck.
            I'm probably one of the worst people to ask, as I've admittedly not played an AVRI Fender before and the last Fender I owned prior to this one was bought and subsequently stolen in 2003. It is a bit thinner than my ES-335 with a 60's neck, though not by a ton and I'm not sure how consistent Gibson's neck profiles were 10-11 years ago when that was built so you my not want to use that as a metric. It is the thinnest neck of any guitar I've owned that I can remember, but I used to pretty much exclusively play fat necks, though my two current electrics are on the thinner side for me. I can play the JM comfortably for hours - not sure whether that says more about the neck or that I used to be too stubborn and believe only big necks worked for me. I think the bigger thing for me is that they have a 9.5" radius - I didn't want the 7.5" radius that the AVRI's had.

I just checked and some of their listings for those guitars provide the neck measurements: .82” at the 1st fret and .89” or 0.90" at the 12th fret for the two listings that had neck measurements.
            Last edited by 3'scompany; 12-28-2020, 07:26 PM.
            DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post

I'm probably one of the worst people to ask, as I've admittedly not played an AVRI Fender before and the last Fender I owned prior to this one was bought and subsequently stolen in 2003. It is a bit thinner than my ES-335 with a 60's neck, though not by a ton and I'm not sure how consistent Gibson's neck profiles were 10-11 years ago when that was built so you my not want to use that as a metric. It is the thinnest neck of any guitar I've owned that I can remember, but I used to pretty much exclusively play fat necks, though my two current electrics are on the thinner side for me. I can play the JM comfortably for hours - not sure whether that says more about the neck or that I used to be too stubborn and believe only big necks worked for me. I think the bigger thing for me is that they have a 9.5" radius - I didn't want the 7.5" radius that the AVRI's had.

I just checked and some of their listings for those guitars provide the neck measurements: .82” at the 1st fret and .89” or 0.90" at the 12th fret for the two listings that had neck measurements.
              Ah thanks. My AO60's Tele measures .83 at the 1st fret and .98 at the 12th. So yours would be thinner for sure. I agree about the 9.5 radius. I had a TVL Jazzmaster and ended up letting it go because there was just something about the guitar I couldn't bond with. I think that radius might have been it.
              -
              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

After buying four in 2019, I tried real hard not to continue that spree.

Winning a beautiful Tommy Emmanuel Maton in April , 2020 was surreal...never thought I would win that contest. And I vowed and managed to keep my wallet in my pocket....until December, when I found a beautiful G&L Comanche at my local GC.

That puts me at 70...I REALLY don't need another guitar! But I do have my eye on a a couple of Hamers, and I'm always looking for great deals on Martin dreads.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I put together a partscaster with a Tele body a couple years ago and it looks good and sounds great but ergonomically it messes with me so I may end up building a more Gibson-shaped semi hollow body for it.

Comment

I really want an OD Guitars Venus, but they're pretty pricey so probably not.
                    sigpic
                    Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post

What do you have? Please share pics if you can. Would like to hear about these and see them.
                      Hey
                      I have something like 10 or 11 guitars (not sure, would have to count?) But the 2 in particular I'm talking about are an Ibanez RG1570 and an old Jackson Kelly Professional neck thru. I have other guitars which I love the sound or looks of, but these are the 2 that have the necks and setups that allow me to play the way I want to play. Y'know at this point, to me, pickups, body woods and all of that stuff really does not matter very much anymore. If the neck lets me express myself then I can get the tone I need regardless of other stuff.

I really would only want to have 1 if I had the choice, but you always need a backup, right? I'm too exhausted to make a thread or post pics at the moment but I'll return some time soon and show you some pics of each !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	2017 Kiesel 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	6043563 Since the late 1980's have loved the Carvin DC superstrat guitars an spent hours looking at the old Carvin catalogs planning builds. Have owned many and have played them regularly on stage since I got the first 89 DC 200 used in 1991. Well Kiesel announced a few days ago the classic DC is being discontinued. It's the single most recognizable guitar Carvin Kiesel has ever produced and I own 4 now but--. With them being discontinued want to get this as the last one I will ever build ( built 4 over the years). My old friend Chris at Kiesel and I ran the specs on her today. I'm going to give it a few to think about it and make sure this is what I want to finalize option wise but this one is in play as of today. Have to get it in by early February at the latest if I want it. That is if this holds that these are discontinued as many who are into these guitars are NOT happy with this one from Jeff Kiesel!
                        Some unique options are the Gold trem and tuners with Black hardware and may do a mahogany neck and body instead of the Maple neck Alder body wings. Have also thought about sending in my pickups don't know yet or doing a Floyd instead of the hipshot trem and if so doing a black lock and the same pointy headstock as my Red 17 has. Always wanted a rounded body solid black DC that was sleek and understated and this is my last chance to build exactly what I want. My Red 2017 with the S/S/H is very similar. My 2017 is as close to absolute perfection in fit finish and workmanship as I have ever seen in a guitar. it's my current #1 and my all time favorite guitar to play I have ever owned period.
                        • DC127X 127 w/Kiesel TREM 1 _____ _____ 1,399.00 1,399.00
                          B JET BLACK 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          RB FULLY ROUNDED BODY EDGES 1 _____ _____ 50.00 50.00
                          THNN THINNER NECK PROFILE 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          GT6 6 STRING GT HEADSTOCK 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          EF EBONY FRETBOARD 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          IDIA DIAMOND SHAPE INLAYS 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          IA ABALONE INLAYS 1 _____ _____ 50.00 50.00
                          STF STAINLESS STEEL MEDIUM JUM 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          KBB INSTALL Beryllium Bridge P 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          KBN INSTALL Beryllium Neck P.U 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          406 PICKUP COLOR CRM/BLACK W B 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          G GOLD PLATED HARDWARE 1 _____ _____ 80.00 80.00
                          very lightweight woods for neck and body, gold
                          tuners and bridge only, rest of hardware blac
                          009 INSTALL ELIXER 9-42 STRING 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          ABL ABALONE LOGO 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          SL STRAPLOCKS BY DUNLOP INSTA 1 _____ _____ .00 .00
                          CONTINUED

SOLD TO: SHIP TO:
                          RUTLEDGE, RICHARD C RUTLEDGE, RICHARD C

BIRMINGHAM AL 35206 USA BIRMINGHAM AL 35206 USA
                          (205) xxxxx
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          CUSTOMER P.O. SHIP VIA: TERMS
                          FEDERAL EXPRESS PREPAID QUOTE EXP DATE: 01/28/21
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          ITEM NO. ORD SHIP B/O PRICE AMOUNT
                          HC10 STANDARD FIT DELUXE BLK TO 1 _____ _____ 150.00 150.00
                          OPTDISC-100 -100.00 PROMO FOR OPTION D 1 _____ _____ 100.00- 100.00-
                          -------------
                          NET ORDER: 1,629.00
                          YOUR SALESPERSON IS CHRIS HONG FREIGHT: 40.00
                          SALES TAX: .00
                          -------------
                          ORDER TOTAL: 1,669.00
                        Last edited by Ascension; 12-29-2020, 10:19 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I want one of these.Click image for larger version

Name:	5e31211ccf36f67a974ab3a9_Black-Ice-ws6-carbon-fiber-1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	6043559

Comment

I'm on a gold kick now. I'm curious about this one:

This is a very special creation from Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilder Ron Thorn: the California Special guitar - this one in Journeyman Relic Shoreline Gold with a full rosewood neck! The guitar has a slightly offset design, with a "C" shaped maple neck and a trio of handwound pickups that can go from single-coil twang

And I'm totally GASsing for this one:

Still in excellent condition with barely any signs of play wear, this is a lightly used Ibanez Paul Stanley signature guitar with a gold cracked mirror finish! Features on this Japan-made Ibanez include a maple top with abalone purfling, a set-construction neck with a 22-fret ebony board and quality Gotoh hardware. If

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              I'm on a gold kick now. I'm curious about this one:
                              That Strat is bizarre. (In a very cool way.) In all the years I've been drooling over Fender catalogs, I've never seen that.

The Iceman is gorgeous too.

Comment

I like that Fender's shape but I'd like 2 humbuckers. Don't know if I'd buy it just to change the pickups, though.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X